'At the stroke of the midnight hour, when the world sleeps, India will awake to life and freedom.'
We all must have learned this in our history classes. India's first Prime Minister, Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, addressed these motivational words to everyone in his speech.
Jawaharlal Nehru was a great philosopher and thinker. He has written a very famous book named 'The Discovery of India.' He was affectionate for children and people.
On the remark of his birthday, we celebrate 14 November as Children's Day across India. Children too were fond of him and used to call him 'Chacha Nehru.'
He worked for India's freedom and motivated everyone. Even now, his quotes guide us and fill us with divine energy for being optimistic. Here is a list of all the thought-provoking quotes by Jawaharlal Nehru.
1. "We live in a majestic world that is full of beauty, charm, and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open."
The very first thought-provoking quote by Jawaharlal Nehru is this one.
He says the world offers us so many heartwarming things to our eyes. Each day is full of charm, adventures, and beauty. We need to open our eyes and enjoy it rather than destroying it.
2. "Ignorance is always afraid of change."
The given Nehru quote asks us to accept the change and deal with it quickly. If we keep ignoring the changes, we will never be able to move on and discover new things.
3. "There is nothing more horrifying than stupidity in action."
Often in a hurry, we may make wrong decisions or end up doing something foolish. Due to our actions, we will have to pay if they are not healthy.
4. "There is perhaps nothing so worst and so dangerous in life as fear."
Fear is any human's first milestone which he needs to overcome to achieve great things. In this Nehru quote, Jawaharlal Nehru righteously says that fear is the first enemy of everyone.
5. "Evil unchecked grows, evil tolerated poisons the whole system."
In this proposed Jawaharlal Nehru quote, Jawaharlal Nehru wants to convey that evil and negativity, treated ignorantly, can grow. It ruins everything if negativity is accepted.
6. "You can tell the condition of a nation by looking at the status of its women."
If we educate a girl, she educates her whole family. Similarly, Jawaharlal Nehru puts this in his thought-provoking quote that the state and standard of a nation can be judged by looking at the position of the women.
7. "Facts are facts and will not disappear on account of your likes."
Whether we like or dislike some things, we cannot change them from happening. Already planned things in fate will happen. It is up to us how we deal with them.
8. "The future belongs to science and those who make friends with science."
We have seen tremendous growth in the field of science and technology in the past few decades. To stay up to date and become techno-savvy, we need to make science our best friend.
9. "Failure only comes when we forget our ideals and objectives and principles."
We live in a very cultural and ethical country. We learn many things right from the time when we are in our mother's womb. When an unsuccessful phase knocks on our door, that is the time when we should realize that we forgot our morals and ethics.
10. "Every little thing counts in a crisis."
When hard times hit in life, we realize who is helpful to us. Every small thing stands important in that phase. We can never forget who stood by us and helped us overcome it.
11. "The art of a people is a true mirror to their minds."
The people who understand their mistakes and rectify those are the real ones. The behavior of people portrays their mindset. Our behavior is the mirror to our minds, says this thought-provoking quote.
12. "The only alternative to coexistence is co-destruction."
For co-existing, the alternative is co-destruction. This given quote is pretty self-explanatory.
13. "Life is like a game of cards. The hand that has dealt you is determinism; the way you play, it is free will."
Jawaharlal Nehru compares life to the game of cards in this thought-provoking quote. How you play is free will but be ready for the consequences.
14. "Action to be effective must be direct to conceived ends."
For action to be fruitful, it should be plan very clearly. Every deed has an equal and opposite reaction. If things are plan beforehand, then the chances of failing will be less.
15 "The man who has gotten everything he wants is all in favor of peace and order."
Once a person reaches great heights, he forgets to look down and come down. All he wants is things to be under his control, everything to be according to his will and plan of action.
16. "Success often comes to those who dare to act. It seldom goes to the timid who are ever afraid of the consequences."
A Hindi saying conveys, 'Jo Darr Gaya samjho voh Marr Gaya,' which means that the one who dares to overcome all the fears will be the winner. But the other one would not be able to survive.
17. "Loyal and efficient work in a great cause, even though it may not be immediately recognized, ultimately bears fruit."
When we work dedicatedly without thinking of the returns, we often get rewarded with the best. It may happen it takes time for fruitful results but, when recognized, is praise-worthy.
18. "A country has to be well known by the way it treats its animals."
This quote is self-explanatory. This quote has written by Jawaharlal Nehru in his book, 'The Discovery of India.'
19. "Politics and Religion are obsolete. The time has come for Science and Spirituality."
Politics and the caste system may fade away with time. But science and spirituality will always be present in every walks of life. Science has to be present to see a different world and, we should quickly adapt to its changes.
20. "Time is not measured by the passing of years but by what one does, what one feels, and what one achieves."
We say time flies or, we count the number of years we have lived. But actual measurement of time is those years in which we were productive, considerate for others and their feelings.
21. "The wheel of change moves on. Those who were down. Those who were up, go down."
'Waqt badalne mein der nahi lagti,' this Hindi saying fits the given Nehru quote. What goes around comes around. In life's roller coaster, ups and downs are there for everyone. In those times, how we treat our relations count the most.
22. "I had taught by a great man, never to hate – and never to fear."
Hatred for someone is never good. Fear is beneficial as long as we earn to overcome it.
23. "Whatever gods there be, there is something godlike in man, as there is also something of the devil in him."
Every coin has two sides. Similarly, every person has both a good and evil side. When the time comes, we experience their side.
24. "Truth is one: (though) the wise call it by various names."
Truth has no covers. It will come out when the time comes though people believe it or not. Truth can never change. People have different names for it.
25. "Let us be a little humble; let us think that the truth may not perhaps be entirely with us."
Without knowing a complete fact, we should not jump to conclusions and start behaving like invincible. We should be considerate and learn to find out everything.
26. "Do or die."
Yes, this quote was a thought-provoking one. It reminds me of the times when India was struggling for freedom. But are we free?
27. "Great causes and little men go ill together."
Great minds always think big and achieve great things. The sky is the only limit. We should understand and apply that. So get working if you are trying to achieve something big.
28. "Peace is not a relationship of nations.
It is a condition of mind brought about by a serenity of soul.
Peace is not merely the absence of war. It is also a state of mind."
Peace has attained when our heart is serene. And our mind is undisturbed.
Peace does not stand for time without war.
This Nehru quote suggests us to be calm like water and deal with every problem tactfully.
29. "Discontent is the spur of progress."
A successful person first accepts his shortcomings and works harder to achieve success. Our first step towards success begins once we take up our flaws and dissatisfaction with the work that we are doing.
30. "Lasting peace can come only to peaceful people."
Peaceful people know how to keep the peace to them. The people who are always in a hustle-bustle kind of state can never attain peace. Stress, overthinking will never let a person have peace of mind.
31. "The person who talks most of his virtue is often the least virtuous."
Through this Nehru quote, we understand that not all fingers are the same. Some people will only talk about standards, status, positions, and things like that but, these are only words to mutter.
32. "The person who runs away exposes himself to that very danger more than a person who sits quietly."
We should not run away from problems, explains Jawaharlal Nehru in this Nehru quote. The one who chooses to run away leads himself to the path of destruction.
33. "Culture is the widening of the mind and the spirit."
We have slowly learned to accept all cultures and religions. That day when every person welcomes each other that day we will be free and attain true freedom and peace of mind, says this Nehru quote.
34. "It is only too easy to make suggestions and later try to escape the consequences of what we say."
When it comes to suggesting someone something, some people can explain to the people what their mistake is. But when it comes to implying it in their life, they often are not ready to accept what they said.
35. "The policy of being too cautious is the noble risk of all."
The one who does not dare to take risks in life is the one who can never see the fruits of it after the risking. Dive in the leap of faith and enjoy what life has to offer.
36. "What we are matters more than what other people think of us."
If we start thinking about what people think about us, then what will people do? What is more important is how we work on ourselves to become more efficient than before, suggests this Jawaharlal Nehru quote.
37. "Our chief defect is that we have more given to talking about things than to doing them."
In our lives, instead of implementing things we say, we keep them saying. The defect of our lives is that we do not bring the action of the plan.
38. "What we need is a generation of peace."
Nehru quote says that we can solve problems by mutual understanding and sorting things calmly. But nowadays every small problem takes a huge turn, fightings, and hitting, revenge and murders is widely spread. Jawaharlal Nehru from, this quote expects a generation who is mature and handles the arguments peacefully.
39. "A man who is afraid will do anything."
A person's fear is his first enemy. When a person is afraid, in his afraidness, he can do anything. Maybe he can also start walking on the wrong path.
40. "A theory has to be temper with reality."
Science, law demands shreds of evidence. Similarly, a proposed hypothesis or theory needs the help of reality for it to be proven true.
41. "An action itself, so long as I am convinced that it is right action, gives me satisfaction."
We must continue the deed we are doing unless we do not get signs that they are wrong. That will give the satisfaction of completion of the task we are handling.
42. "There is no end to the adventures that we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open."
Adventures of life can never end. Look around and, you will find an escapade awaiting your presence.
43. "The forces in a capitalist society, if left unchecked, tend to make the rich richer and the poor poorer."
This Piece of Nehru's quote suggests that attention to every person residing in the country is necessary. If only financially well-to-do people are taken care of, then the poor people will become poorer.
44. "Nationalism is essentially a group memory of past achievements, traditions, and experiences."
This Nehru quote has its hidden explanation, suggesting nationalism has its experiences and memories.
45. "The children of today will make the India of tomorrow. The way we bring them up will determine the future of the country."
Nehru through, this quote, expresses his affection towards children. He explains the upcoming generation will build the road to the nation's success.
46. "The objective of education was to produce a desire to serve the community as a whole. And to apply the knowledge gained not only for personal but for public welfare."
In this quote, Jawaharlal Nehru tells us the importance of education for us and the nation's welfare.
47. "Crises and deadlocks when they occur have at least this advantage that they force us to think."
When a bad phase of life comes, we need to adapt and change ourselves. We learn to overcome such problems without much difficulty.
48. "The highest type of efficiency is that which can utilize existing material to the best advantage."
This Nehru quote puts forth the phrase, 'Best out of waste.' We should be happy with whatever we have and make the best use of the available resources.
49. "Socialism is not only a way of life but a scientific approach to social and economic problems."
Socialism teaches us to interact with one another and learn to be with someone in their ups and downs. It teaches us humanity and to live together in peace and harmony.
50. "To be successful in life, you need education."
Nehru emphasizes from this quote the importance of education.
51. "Our desires seek out supporting reasons and tend to ignore facts and arguments that do not fit in with them."
When we expect things from life or the desires of life makes us blind. We start chasing some to complete our desires, that we fail to see what is right and wrong. We are so engrossed that we try to fit the incorrect facts with our desires.
Here is the end of thought-provoking Jawaharlal Nehru quotes. His love for his nation and children is undefinable.
He wittily said, "He will be the last Englishman to rule India." My heartfelt salute to all the freedom fighters.
Chacha Nehru was our childhood hero, at least at some point in time. We would love to hear anything about him that inspired you and made you the person you are today.
Also, like and share these Chacha Nehru quotes to inspire others as well.
- 11 Great Teachers The World Has Seen And Should Learn Life Lessons From
- 45 Abdul Kalam Quotes Which Will Inspire You To Achieve Success
- 25 Sarojini Naidu Quotes With Message From India's Nightingale
- 30 Lal Bahadur Shastri Quotes To Help You Face Tough Times
- 20 Bhagat Singh Quotes That Instill Patriotism and Courage In You