Starting from his first hit, Zanjeer to the character of Auro in Paa, his acting, and his unexceptional baritone needs no introduction. But, much to our amazement, he had given 12 flops before his first hit.
,b>Big B debuted in Saat Hindustani, which was shot in black and white. For the same movie, he was paid Rs. 1000. It was just the start and so it did mean a lot to him and it paved way for his awesome journey in Bollywood.
“Ayiye deviyon aur sajjanon! Hum aur aap khelte hain Kaun Banega Crorepati”
Heard it somewhere? The most famous family show, the only show on TV which is watched by every single member of the family, without getting bored, has this line, in the voice of Amitabh Bachchan as its opening line.
Kaun Banega Crorepati was in its debut in small screen in 2000. Big B and his “Computer Mahashay”, were the factors which lapped the Indian audience in the show and sustained them. But his praises don’t end here.
We have compiled these 13 facts about Big B, who excels in different fields.
1. He is ambidextrous, Amitabh can write equally with both his hands.
2. His real surname is “Srivastava”. His family adopted Bachchan after the pen name of his father.
3. Amitabh got Big B title in the last years of the 90s after his second comeback film ‘Mrityudaata’.
4. Amitabh is the only actor, who has worked in his re-make film. His 1975 classic film ‘Sholay’ was re-made in 2007. In ‘Aag’, Big B had played the role of villain.
5. Indian comic character ‘Supremo’ is based on him.
6. In the middle of his career, when Big B did not have a job, he asked for work from Yash Chopra. After that, he got the film ‘Mohabbatein’, under the banner of Yashraj Films.
7. According to reports, his two houses (Pratiksha and Jalsa) are worth more than Rs 200 Cr. FYI, he owns 5 bungalows.
8. Amitabh does not like the word ‘Bollywood’, which is used for the Hindi film industry.
9. Amitabh was also the judge of Miss World beauty contest in 1995.
10. In Amitabh’s marriage, only five baraatis were there. Out of those 5, only Gulzaar was from the film industry.
11. He is well-known by his screen name, “Vijay”, as his character was named Vijay in over 20 movies.
12. Well, he is a teetotaler. He practices complete abstinence from the consumption of alcoholic beverages.
13. He also made a political appearance as the Lok Sabha MP in the year 1984-89.
This was very less about this man, who has been awarded with the citizenship of French’s Deauville town and voted as “Star of the Millennium” by BBC.
We cannot forget his dialogues, which always resonate in our ears. The man of words, Jai asks Basanti’s name in the movie Sholay, “Tumhara Naam Kya Hai Basanti?” And in these few words, the whole irony and humor gets entrapped in that situation.
The versatile style of delivering dialogues, whether it is, “I can talk English, I can walk English, I can laugh English, Because English is a very phunny language”, or “Aaj mere paas bangla hai, gaadi hai, bank balance hai, tumare paas kya hai?”, is unrivalled.
Even after the several mockeries made on these dialogues, they are nevertheless iconic. We cannot end up counting his achievements. The list is too long.
Hope you agree with us.