Harry Potter is part of many people's childhood. The beautiful world-building and characters have something new to offer every time we watch it. It includes the various things communicated by the people. Check out the list of 24 notable quotes from the Harry Potter movies listed below.
1. "Things we lose have a way of coming back to us in the end, if not always in the way we expect." - Luna Lovegood.
This statement is an advice to have a broader worldview. A perfectionist vision is hardly satisfying. It is one of the best Harry Potter quotes to cherish.
2. "Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of both inflicting injury, and remedying it." - Albus Dumbledore.
Preventing ourselves from saying harsh words, false promises, grandiose statements is a sign of maturity. Everything we utter affects the people around us.
3. "Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?" - Albus Dumbledore.
Your thoughts are your reality. If you believe you are good enough, then you are and vice versa. This line promoting the importance of self-belief is truly among the best harry potter quotes.
4. "It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." ― Albus Dumbledore.
Although significant, ambitions are one part of the many things life has to offer. Take a break, live a little and let things just be. This Harry Potter quote urges you to avoid disgracing your life by not living it the way you should.
5. "It is the quality of one's convictions that determines success, not the number of followers." —Remus Lupin.
Spoken by a Gryffindor, this advice embodies an essential element of many Ravenclaw quotes. Choosing knowledge and maturity over glory and status.
6. "It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends." ― Albus Dumbledore.
Neville would later stand up to Voldemort the same way, proving his courage to the people who once underestimated him. This Gryffindor quote underlines the most important quality of the house.
7. "It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." — Albus Dumbledore.
This line reflects the importance of autonomy. Society might perceive you in a certain way, but ultimately it is you who decide who you want to be.
8. "But you know, happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." ― Albus Dumbledore.
In the case of Harry and Hermione, the "light" happened to be an old song. The quote does not preach never-ending optimism, but we ought to spare a moment for the sake of happiness.
9. "If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." — Sirius Black.
An essential aspect of leadership and status is humanity. Abuse of power is the sign of an undeserving leader.
10. "Your devotion is nothing more than cowardice. You would not be here if you had anywhere else to go." — Voldemort.
An eye-opener from Voldemort. He provides an insight into the pitiful nature of dictatorship, where obedience is a consequence of threats instead of love and respect.
11. "We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are." ― Sirius Black.
Another insight into autonomy, this Harry Potter quote also reflects the nuance of humans. We are all capable of destruction, but that does not make us evil. Sometimes the evil side needs to come forward to protect the good side in us.
12. "Well, it may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair" - Severus Snape.
A character everyone misunderstood for the longest time served brutal truths now and then. All characters (except Voldemort) have overcome the unfair adversities in their life, for example, Draco's close-minded upbringing, Ron's financial struggles and Snape's unrequited love.
13. "Have you ever considered that you ask too much, that you take too much for granted?" - Severus Snape.
Professor Snape is the voice of reason. Irrespective of how glorious one's actions are, some people do suffer because of them. The ones supporting and putting up with us deserve just as much recognition as us.
14. "The mind is not a book to be opened at will and examined at leisure." - Severus Snape.
Gryffindor's inclination towards bravery and moralism often exposes their weak points. Snape's advice about being emotionally disciplined is essential for everyone who loses control quickly.
15. "We Slytherins are brave, yes, but not stupid. For instance, given the choice, we will always choose to save our own necks." - Phineas Nigellus' portrait.
One of the Slytherin quotes openly admits the self-centred attitude of Slytherin house. However, time and again, Slytherins have secretly practised selflessness, an example being Snape.
16. "There is nothing I wouldn't do anymore!" "If you attack my son again, I shall ensure that it is the last thing you ever do." - Narcissa Malfoy.
Voldemort's was defeated, twice, by a mother. Narcissa Malfoy's love for her son triumphed over everything else in her life, including her loyalty to Voldemort, directly leading to his downfall.
17. "Every great wizard in history has started out as nothing more than what we are now, students. If they can do it, why not us?” - Harry Potter.
Among the many famous quotes of Harry Potter, this one reminds us that we all start small. Do not worry about where you stand at present, just keep going.
18. "What's comin' will come and we'll meet it when it does." - Rubeus Hagrid.
Anxiety about a bad outcome only turns our present sour, it does not change the inevitable. Kicking back till then is a far better way to cope.
19. "The world isn't split into good people and death eaters." - Sirius Black.
We have all been guilty of black and white thinking. Our morals and emotions feel so justified to us that we forget how different people are. Looking at different perspectives allows us to have a grey area.
20. "I feel that if a single pupil wants to come, then the school ought to remain open for that pupil." – Pomona Sprout.
Inclusivity is the centre of many Hufflepuff quotes. The qualities of this house are admirable but often underestimated. Yet, we all want to live in a kind, inclusive and forgiving world.
21. "Forgive and forget, I say, we ought to give peeves a second chance." – The fat friar.
Forgiveness requires bravery. Trusting someone after they have wronged is more difficult compared to seeking revenge. The fat friar's quote is a reminder that we all can be peaceful if we choose to do so.
22. "His name is Voldemort, Filius. You might as well use it, he's going to try to kill you either way." - Minerva McGonagall.
The transfiguration professor has always been brave, stern and sympathetic. Adding to Hagrid's advice earlier, it is useless to fear the inevitable.
23. "Books! And cleverness! There are more important things — friendship and bravery.” - Hermione Granger.
One of the well-known Hermione quotes emphasizes growth. She is downplayed by folks for being a muggle-born and even mocked for her intelligence at times. This line is why Hermione is not a Ravenclaw.
24. “Neville will play Quidditch for England before Hagrid lets Dumbledore down.” - Ron Weasley.
There is a lesson here other than Hagrid’s loyalty to Dumbledore. One of the many Ron Weasley quotes showcases this character’s ability to deliver serious messages with humour.
Harry Potter is an evergreen saga. The fantasy land of magic wands, butterbeer and Quidditch provide an escape from our muggle world. The conflicts explored in these stories are, however, reflective of our world. And so are these quotes.
The mad pursuit of immortality consumed Voldemort and made his life even shorter (He died in his 70's while Dumbledore, without any Horcruxes, lived more than a century!). The stories continue to make us question our morals and choices. We hope you enjoyed all of the best Harry Potter quotes listed here.
- 8 Harry Potter Movies Listed From First To Last In Order
- 12 Harry Potter Candies That Potterheads Would Love To Have
- 11 Harry Potter Spells We Wish Were True In Real World
Explore: Feeding Trends | Events