Tyrion Lannister might not be a philosopher, but he is pretty close. Not only is he a political genius who could think two steps ahead of his opponents, but also a charmer with words. Tyrion Lannister uses his sharp mind and quick wit; whenever he opens his mouth, quotable gold is guaranteed. If the winner of Game of Thrones is the person who holds the significant power at the end, Tyrion Lannister is our midget victor.
Tyrion Lannister legitimately might be the most quotable character in television history. Many of Tyrion Lannister's quotes are printed over all kinds of Game of Thrones merchandise. He is often shoved in death-defying existential peril—his intelligence and quickness are what gets him out of his dilemma, making him an absolute fan favorite.
Not only does he have a firm sense of right and wrong, but he's also got the courage to speak up when he sees a violation of ethics. Although he's rarely taken seriously, he offers thoughtful one-liners and cynical quips, alongside his nuggets of wisdom from time to time.
Here are 40 best Tyrion Lannister quotes from the half-man who casts a long shadow that will inspire you and strike you the most.
1) "Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you."
Tyrion Lannister quotes inspire you in some or the other way. The only person you have to change for is yourself if you want to. If you know who you are, people around you automatically will.
2) "Death is so terribly final, while life is full of possibilities."
Time is an eye blink. Never allowing a moment to pass, you should always be ready for the opportunity when it knocks on your door.
3) "Let them see that their words can cut you, and you'll never be free of the mockery. If they want to give you a name, take it, make it your own. Then they can't hurt you with it anymore."
As Brienne of Tarth once told herself, "Words are wind, They cannot hurt you. Let them wash over you." The less you respond to negative words, the more peaceful your life will be.
4) "It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on its head."
This excellent line by Tyrion Lannister is about his nephew, Joffrey, who was crowned the king. He missed no chance to show the real face of Joffery to Cersei. And indeed, he was right. It is one of the wisest Tyrion Lannister quotes.
5) "Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."
Tyrion Lannister quotes present the reality of this world. Truth is inevitable; it can be delayed but not avoided.
6) "When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar. You're only telling the world that you fear what he may say."
Tyrion Lannister sees the hard truths and is bluntly honest with himself, acknowledging how others see him as a person.
7) "Sleep is good, and books are better."
Tyrion Lannister quotes reflect on the value of books. Let's accept it. Books are better than everything, and we all would have been more social if people could be more like books.
8) "A man needs books like a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge. That is why I read so much."
Tyrion imparts John with his words of wisdom, and this is a fairly genius one. He may not be a fighter, but he has a weapon that can destroy the best fighters: knowledge.
9) "Every time we deal with an enemy, we create two more."
Tyrion Lannister keeps pouring his words of wisdom in from time to time, alongside his wine.
10) "What unites people? Armies? Gold? Flags? Stories. There's nothing more powerful than a good story. Nothing can stop it. No enemy can defeat it."
Tyrion's love of storytelling has been persistent throughout the series. He was forever trying to tell a joke about the time he walked into a brothel with a honeycomb and a jackass but was held up every time.
11) "Love is more powerful than reason."
This Tyrion Lannister quote calls back to Game of Thrones central themes-love directing characters abandoning their duty and making poor decisions.
12) "As a clever man once told me, we make peace with our enemies, not our friends."
Said by the greatest Lannister of all time.
13) "It's easy to confuse 'What is' with 'What ought to be', especially when 'What is' has worked out in your favor."
Tyrion's guidance is one of the things he's well known for — mainly because he's not hesitant to face those he's advising.
14) "I try to know as many people as I can. You never know which one you'll need."
Tyrion Lannister is a mastermind, and he surely knows when the time comes for him to use people he knows, or at least have them do what is needed, companion or not.
15) "Perhaps that is the secret. It is not what we do, so much as why we do it."
We need to remember that our actions are irreversible, and all action has consequences.
16) "I trust the eyes of an honest man more than I trust what everybody knows."
As witty as Tyrion was, his biggest mistake was thinking everybody could be as rational as he was.
17) "You need to take your enemy's side if you're going to see things the way they do. And you need to see things the way they do if you're going to anticipate their actions, respond effectively, and beat them."
He knew he would be most safe from where he can see what his enemy is planning. He lived with his family as long as he could despite receiving death threats.
18) "Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons. Doesn't seem right."
Tyrion's dual-coloured eyes is a metaphor that he is somewhat morally ambiguous and can see things both ways.
19) "I have a tender spot in my heart for cripples and bastards and broken things. "
Enduring plenty of hate from his family Tyrion didn't end up becoming a monster. In fact, became one of the most tender-hearted people in Westeros.
20) "These bad people are what I'm good at. Out talking them. Outthinking them. It's what I am. And I like it. I like it more than anything I've ever done."
21) "Sometimes possession is an abstract concept."
Tyrion has wisdom. Also, he understands when to use it; he is practical and upfront and takes a problem head-on.
22) "Why is that when one man builds a wall, the next needs to know what's on the other side?"
This is somewhat accurate. We all want to see some other person's flaws because we fancy the glimpses of our insecurities in them.
23) "A ruler who kills those devoted to her is not a ruler who inspires devotion."
Tyrion Lannister formulated democracy.
24) "Killing and politics aren't always the same thing."
This Tyrion Lannister quote is worth understanding, and this message is worth implementing in our mundane lives.
25) "I'm quite good at spending money but a lifetime of outrageous wealth hasn't taught me much about managing it."
Tyrion Lannister is absurdly wealthy and from an influential family. He's the medieval fantasy version of Tony stark minus the philanthropy, plus the Love for prostitutes and wine.
26) "The powerful have always preyed on the powerless, that's how they became powerful in the first place."
Tyrion has always delivered the most intellect and surprisingly wise insights.
27) "I will hurt you for this. I don't know how yet, but give me time. A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."
Tyrion Lannister quotes the following to Cersei, their relationship is pretty horrendous from the beginning of Tyrion's life to the end of hers. Cersei may always underestimate him, but he could always undo her in one way or another.
28) "In my experience, eloquent men are right every bit as often as imbeciles."
The wit & wisdom of Tyrion Lannister is packed with sardines of finely crafted gems—just like the man himself.
29) "They say I'm half a man, well what does that make a lot of you?"
This was the most epic quote from Tyrion's rousing speech when troops attacked the city. His smart play on words may have saved the city.
30) "Death is so boring especially now with so much excitement in the world."
C'est la vie (that's life)
31) "Scars have the strange power to remind us that our past is real."
Tyrion has been mocked and ridiculed simply for being born differently and has accepted his scars. Both physical and mental, and wore it like armour.
32) "Laughing at another person's misery was the only thing that made me feel like everyone else."
Tyrion Lannister quotes can make us laugh, cry, and go through many other emotions for him.
33) "It's not easy being drunk all the time. Everyone would do it if it were easy."
But if one is capable of, one can try.
34) "Many underestimated you. Most of them are dead now."
Some people may look like a cinnamon roll, however still be capable of killing.
35) "Surely there are ways to have me killed that would be less detrimental to the war effort."
Tyrion tends to harm those who deserve it, as their motto "Lannisters always pay their debts," but he is compassionate on the inside.
36) "Sometimes Nothing Is The Hardest Thing To Do."
No more accurate word has ever been spoken.
37) "A wise man once said that you should never believe a thing simply because you want to believe it."
This Tyrion Lannister quote is a reminder to always take rumours like winds, let them pass, and not jump to conclusions just because someone says something.
38) "A wise man once said the true history of the world is a history of great conversations in elegant rooms."
And yes, the wise man who said this was, indeed, Tyrion.
39) "I'm not particularly good at violence, but I'm good at convincing others to do violence for me."
His mind is his greatest weapon throughout the eight seasons.
40) "I wish I was the monster you think I am! I wish I had enough poison for the whole pack of you! I would gladly give my life to watch you all swallow it! I will not give my life for Joffery's murder, and I know I'll get no justice here, so I will let the gods decide my fate. I demand a trial by combat."
The only thing he is guilty of is that of stealing the entire episode.
The dwarf known as the Halfman is more of a man than many who can claim the height and is quite a charmer with words. These Tyrion Lannister quotes teach us to be wiser in real life. He's knowledgeable and worked his way out of all dilemmas, mostly through his words—full of wise words and advice on almost everything, and finds time for humour when death is in sight.
Some people may think of Tyrion as a monstrous person because of his father, sister, brother, nephew, and cousins. But he's actually a pretty thoughtful guy and keeps pouring his words of wisdom alongside his love for wine.
Peter Dinklage made Tyrion admirable from the moment we first met him. Whether the finale lived up to the show's high standard or not is open to debate, but Dinklage as Tyrion has won many and is the most beloved character of Game of Thrones.
- 50 Best Games Of Thrones Quotes That Will Stay With Us For A Long Time
- Au Revoir Game Of Thrones: 20 Moments & Elements GoT Fans Will Miss Forever
- After Game Of Thrones Beer And Wines, We Are Expecting GOT Themed Costumes
- 40 Lord Of The Ring Quotes That Will Have You In Search of The Ring
- 21 Korean Web Series To Stream Online And Watch Together Now
Explore: Feeding Trends | Events