There are many phrases in the English language that can tangle anyone's tongue. Reader's Digest compiled a list of 14 phrases that are difficult to pronounce correctly. "Pad kid poured curd pulled cod," and "The sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick" are among the lines.
1. 'pad kid poured curd pulled cod.'
According to a group of Massachusetts Institute of Technology researchers, this is the world's most difficult tongue twister. Is it possible to say it ten times fast? According to the psychologists who created this tongue twister, people who tried to say it either stopped in the middle because it was too difficult or could only get through it once and couldn't repeat it. If you can't get this one, try one of the others.
2. 'Brisk brave brigadiers brandished broad bright blades, blunderbusses, and bludgeons—balancing them badly.'
It's not much easier because this tongue twister is much longer. To get this one, you'll need to master the proper balance of your tongue on your teeth.
3. 'If you must cross a course cross cow across a crowded cow crossing, cross the cross coarse cow across the crowded cow crossing carefully.'
A course cross cow isn't someone you want to get in the way of. If you try to teach him this tongue twister, however, he may become distracted from his rage and refrain from harming you. (If you have a word on the tip of your tongue, do exactly this to figure out what it is.)
4. 'How can a clam cram in a clean cream can?'
It might be easier to get a clam into a can than to say this tongue twister ten times fast.
5. 'Imagine an imaginary menagerie manager managing an imaginary menagerie.'
Because keeping animals in captivity isn't very pleasant, we'd be happy to imagine an imaginary menagerie.
6. 'Send toast to ten tense stout saints' ten tall tents.'
You'll want to spend a lot of toasts if these saints are tense and stout. (These are the towns in every state that are the most difficult to pronounce.)
7. 'Rory the warrior and Roger the worrier were reared wrongly in a rural brewery.'
Rory and Roger are unlikely to be able to say this tongue twister after they visit the brewery.
8. 'Six sick hicks nick six slick bricks with picks and sticks.'
Prepare your "s" and "k" sounds, because this one is tricky.
9. 'I wish to wish the wish you wish to wish, but if you wish the wish the witch wishes, I won't wish the wish you wish to wish.'
There are a lot of wishes going on here, making this tongue twister difficult to solve!
10. 'The thirty-three thieves thought that they thrilled the throne throughout Thursday.'
This sentence makes more sense than the previous one. But can you say it quickly?
11. 'The sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick.'
Is your tongue getting tired yet? If you want to take a break from talking, try using your eyes to find the differences in these ten images.
12. 'Can you can a canned can into an un-canned can like a canner can a canned can into an un-canned can?'
Isn't cramming a clam into a can difficult enough?
13. 'Thirty-three thirsty, thundering thoroughbreds thumped Mr. Thurber on Thursday.'
Just be glad you're not Mr. Thurber and you only have to say this tongue twister ten times fast.
14. 'Six sleek swans swam swiftly southwards.'
Once you've mastered it, you'll be able to say it several times in a row without stumbling.