Severus Snape is the misunderstood character of the Harry Potter series. Professor Snape also embodies the cynical attitude that some of us adopt while growing up. The dynamic between him and Harry is quite intriguing and tragic as Harry only understood him during the last years of his life. It is sad from the viewpoints of both parties because they could have shared a much better relationship. Here are 25 Severus Snape quotes to remember this deep character.
1. “Mr Potter, our new celebrity.”
Gryffindor has always been the house of glory and heroism. We all appreciate Harry and give him credit for defeating the dark lord. One can imagine this popularity as a consequence of his luck. He did not do anything. Perhaps this is what Snape hates, he is an undercover agent doing a lot of work, but someone with dumb luck gets all the praise.
2. “I can teach you to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death…”
It was one of the rare moments when we see Snape being passionate about his subject. Despite his strained dynamic with students, he wants them to enjoy the field. This Severus Snape quote is sure to resonate with the teachers.
3. “How extraordinarily like your father you are, Potter... he too was exceedingly arrogant.”
As mentioned earlier, Severus Snape functions like an undercover agent. It means he keeps his emotions bottled up, all the time. However, Snape is a human, and sometimes his hidden feelings burst out. This quote about Severus Snape is one of the moments when he loses control.
4. “I have spied for you and lied for you, put myself in mortal danger for you. Everything was supposed to be to keep Lily Potter’s son safe.”
We cannot help feeling that Professor Snape got underappreciated by everyone. It includes Professor Dumbledore. It is easy to say that Snape chose to take the big responsibility on his shoulders. He could have been more selfish. However, knowing that he never received the praise he deserved is tragic.
5. “You dare use my own spells against me, Potter? It was I who invented them — I, the Half-Blood Prince!”
Harry never fails to offend Professor Snape. Snape sees Harry as the reflection of a man who took everything away from him. Harry using spells from his book seemed like the last straw as it was the one, last thing Snape treasured.
6. “I do not take cheek from anyone, Potter... not even ‘The Chosen One.”
Severus Snape has an innate sense of self-worth. He is also fully aware that people would respect him more if they understood him on a deeper level. The problem is, they cannot get that close to him even if they wanted to. Only Snape knows who how great he is.
7. “Fools who wear their hearts proudly on their sleeves, who cannot control their emotions, who wallow in sad memories and allow themselves to be provoked this easily — weak people, in other words — they stand no chance against his powers!”
The motto of Gryffindor is bravery. We admire them. However, they fit the old, classic trope of righteous, highly moralistic royals who eventually get tricked. It makes sense because people advise us to keep secrets from people that might harm us, but Harry often does the opposite. This quote from Professor Snape reflects the core of his personality and Slytherin ideology – self-control and strategic intelligence.
8. “Vengeance is very sweet. How I hoped I would be the one to catch you...”
Professor Snape is the definition of edgy. We are taught to forgive people. Seeking revenge is painted as a weak path. Voldemort lived a miserable life precisely because he refused to let go of his anger. However, one of the most admirable characters in the series carries many of the same negative traits.
9. “Oh, very good. Yes, it is easy to see that nearly six years of magical education have not been wasted on you, Potter. Ghosts are transparent.”
Sarcasm is mostly an acquired quality. If one looked at the professor's life from a third-person perspective, it is no wonder he grew up so sarcastic. This quote captures the Snape Harry Potter dynamic perfectly.
10. “It’s real for us. Not for her.”
The Severus Snape quote is reminiscent of his love for Lily Potter. It takes us back to the beginning of a relationship Severus would respect until his death. This unrequited love has a lasting influence on his life.
11. “The mind is a complex and many-layered thing, Potter... or at least, most minds are...”
No offence but Harry Potter carried a very black and white ideology for a long time. This sarcastic remark from Professor Snape applies to all of us when we refuse to acknowledge different perspectives. One of the many Severus Snape quotes with a vital lesson.
12. “You see what you expect to see.”
This concept is true. In any given situation, we only see the factors that fit our narrative. This quote from Severus Snape is about blissful ignorance of the things we do not want to confront.
One of the most popular Severus Snape quotes, this word reflects his commitment to Lily Potter. It is perhaps the reason why it feels so cringeworthy to imagine Snape in a romantic setting with someone other than Lily.
14. “Are you incapable of restraining yourself, or do you take pride in being an insufferable Know-It-All?”
Self-control is a recurring concept explored by Snape. He hates people who lack it. From an outsider perspective, it feels tragic to see how Snape does not enjoy the freedom of expression like others.
15. “Well, it may have escaped your notice, but life isn’t fair.”
Severus Snape chose to live an unfair life. Sometimes we are victimized by circumstances, and these experiences traumatize us. Important is that we must grow from the trauma instead of getting consumed by it. Being put at a disadvantage does not mean that one should give up.
16. “I have deceived one of the greatest wizards of all time.”
Snape could have been one of the greatest wizards when it came to occlumency. He prevented a lot of bad things from happening due to this skill, and he is rightfully proud of it. However, Voldemort himself was at fault for being deceived. He dismissed everything he could not comprehend and hence, had a narrow worldview. Snape, on the other hand, could understand multiple perspectives.
17. “Look at me…. You have your mother’s eyes.”
Snape's eventual affection for Harry stemmed from his love for Lily. He chose to remember Lily during his last moments. Snape’s death was tragic because he died surrounded by uncertainty. Death is more painful, knowing that our loved ones are left vulnerable without us.
18. “So when the time comes…. The boy must die?”
Imagine knowing that all the efforts you devoted to a cause were in vain. That is what Snape felt for a few moments. Snape saw his long lost love in Harry, so losing him was like reliving the death of Lily Potter all over again.
19. “Has it ever crossed your brilliant mind that I don’t want to do this anymore?”
It is the only part in the whole series where Snape looks and sounds exhausted. He is a man who has had enough of everything. Contrasting the Slytherin trait of selfishness, Snape put others before him his whole life.
20. “Turn to page 394.”
Do not interrupt Snape while he is teaching. He may have the responsibility of a double agent, but he takes both his roles seriously. A short but troublesome Severus Snape quote.
21. “And if I ever hear you criticise the way I teach a class again, you will be sorry indeed.”
Snape may have turned to his studies as a means of self-healing. His teaching methods are a result of years and years of experience. Snape may seem hateful, but he wishes the best for his students and does the best he can as a teacher. So this Severus Snape quote is all about the importance of strictness and discipline in lives of students.
22. “The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure.”
By way of the above Severus Snape quote, we can adjudge that Snape was possibly one of the best occlumens of his time. The crucial part of learning any skill is to understand its significance. For many people, freedom of speech is an important aspect. The thought of not being able to speak your mind is upsetting. Snape treats his mind like a treasure chest only he can open.
23. “You are just like your father, lazy, arrogant.”
Snape told Dumbledore to “hide them all”, referring to Lily Potter and her family. Thinking about James Potter was always painful for Snape, as James bullied him during his younger days. This childhood trauma was an influential factor in shaping Snape’s personality. In many ways, he is the exact opposite of James, and he possibly associates all Gryffindors with this childhood bully.
24. “How grand it must be...To be the chosen one.”
From a different point of view, Snape was also the chosen one. He was the one who would protect Harry until the end in exchange for his suffering. Harry was passively put into the role of the chosen one, whereas Snape earned his way into it.
25. “Have you ever considered that you ask too much, that you take too much for granted?”
This Severus Snape quote was said in frustration, but it applies to us all. Be grateful for what you have, because some people have sacrificed a lot for you. Appreciate them for what they have done and try to return the favour. Snape has a great, tragic arc, but he deserved to be credited while he was alive. Thank the Snape in your life today!
Severus Snape was the embodiment of a true Slytherin. Only a few people would be able to deceive Voldemort and get away with it. One could say that only a Slytherin would have the strategic intellect and self-control to do that. Snape taught us how some people are never repaid for their efforts and still manage to be grateful.
The story of Severus Snape teaches us an important lesson about making choices and how they affect the world around us. Had he decided to move on, the Harry Potter saga would have turned out to be quite different. We hope you loved these Severus Snape quotes and if there is any that we missed, do let us know in the comment section below!
- 24 Best Harry Potter Quotes by Famous Characters of the Movie
- 14 Harry Potter Professors We Desire To Have In Our Lives
- 12 Harry Potter Candies That Potterheads Would Love To Have
- 11 Harry Potter Spells We Wish Were True In Real World
Explore: Feeding Trends | Events