Whenever we hear of Banaras, now known as Varanasi, the first thing that comes to our mind is the love story of Kundan and Zoya or the friendship of Murari and Bindiya. If you are not familiar with these names, then you must take a break from whatever you are doing and watch the movie Raanjhanaa.
Banaras was famous for its culture, the holy river Ganga and ghats but after the release of Raanjhanaa in 2013, it made us all fall in love with the character of Kundan, the boy who grew up in the streets of Banaras and sacrificed his life for his childhood love, Zoya.
Raanjhanaa was directed by Aanand L. Rai and was a debut movie for Tamil star, Venkatesh Prabhu Kasthuri Raja aka Dhanush. Apart from the movie script, the music by our legendary director A. R. Rahman, and the movie dialogues by Himanshu Sharma, made Raabjhana an iconic movie.
Following is the list of famous dialogues from the movie Raanjhanaa that will make you fall in love in a Banarsi way:
1) “Ab pyaar na hua tumhara, UPSC ka exam ho gaya hai! Dus saal se clear hi nahi ho raha hai.” – Murari
None other than your best friend could say a taunt like this on your face. Murari, being the childhood buddy of Kundan taunted him with this dialogue, after getting frustrated by his friend’s failed attempts to make Zoya fall in love with him.
2) “Mohallon ke laundon ka pyaar, aksar doctor aur engineer uthake le jaate hain.” – Murari
Murari is one of those supporting characters who have a major significance in building the lead character. Here is a line by him, that is a fact in the middle and low-class families.
3) “Aashiq ki tab nahi phatti jab mehbooba ki shadi ho jaaye! Uski tab phatti hai, jab uski apni hone lage.” – Kundan
One of those dialogues from a one-sided-lover with a deep meaning.
4) “Namaz mein woh thi, Par laga dua hamari qubool ho gayi. ” – Kundan
The dialogue is said by the young Kundan when he saw his love, Zoya, for the first time. It’s basically a perfect dialogue to describe Love At First Sight.
5) “Vitamin humse khao aur aashiqui inse ladao.” – Bindiya
The jealousy is easily interpreted through the words. The love triangle in the movie, where Bindiya was madly in love with Kundan and Kundan had the same feelings for Zoya, dialogues like these made the audience whistle while watching the movie.
6) “Duniya thukegi mujhpe agar Pyaar kar liya tumse, par dekh Kundan, phir bhi ho gaya na.” – Zoya
The heartbreaking line by Zoya for which Kundan waited to hear all his life.
7) “Yeh Banaras hai, aur launda saala yaha bhi haar gaya toh jeetega kahaan.” – Kundan
Raanjhanaa is loved by everyone for dialogues like these. The above line expresses the swag of a person who grew up in the streets of his city.
8) “Kundan ke payjaame ka naada itna dheela nahi hai jo tere blouse ke do hook pe khul jaaye.” – Kundan
The viewers loved the madness of Bindiya for Kundan and dialogues like these were like the icing on the cake.
9) “Hamein apne gaal pe thappad se zyada uske gaal pe puppy ka sukh tha.” – Kundan
This Raanjhanaa dialogue is a typical lover’s dialogue expressing love over pain.
10) “Oo rickshaw waale, paise mat lena madam se, bhabhi hai tumhari.” – Kundan
The dialogues of the movie Raanjhanaa left no point to win the hearts of the audience. Another dialogue to bring the feel and swag of a person growing up in the streets of a small town.
11) “Lanka dahan hona abhi baaki tha kyunki hamara jawaan hona abhi baaki tha.” – Kundan
The way the directors and writers of Raanjhanaa connected the culture and the love story is one commendable thing. Dialogues like these express the culture of Banaras as well as connect the love story, keeping the swag and feel alive.
12) “2 type ke leader hote hai, ek woh joh sarkar girakar khush hote hai, doosre woh joh sarkar banakar khush hote hai.” – Kundan
A fact that was conveyed through this dialogue during a scene.
13) “Tumhe kya lagta hai Zoya, tum bohot hoor ki pari ho,
Tumse pyaar karna mera talent hai Zoya, Isme tumhara koi haath nahi.
Tumhare jagah koi bhi hoti to main usse bhi itna hi toot ke pyaar karta.” – Kundan
We can see dialogues like these coming when a one-sided lover fails after many attempts and gets frustrated.
14) “Mere piche scooter mei baithna padega. Main break maarunga toh mujhpe girna padega. Mere saath naachna-gaana padega. Girlfriend na sahi, feel hi dede.” – Kundan
Loving someone without getting any love in return is not an easy job. A person does anything or everything he could, to spend time with the one he loves.
15) “Ilaka kutton ka hota hai, Sheron ka jigra hota hain.” – Kundan & Murari
This Raanjhanaa dialogue expresses the swag of the duo who grew up in the streets of Banaras.
16) “Dil na saala left mein hota hai, na right mein! Center mein hota hai, kyun ki hame wahin dard uth raha tha.” – Kundan
The heart-melting line by our hero brought tears to the eyes of every viewer.
17) “Sorry toh maine apne baap tak ko nahi bola jab meri galti thi. Ab toh na meri galti hai aur na aap mere baap ho.” – Kundan
Another Raanjhanaa dialogue to bring out the bold side of Kundan.
18) “Hum khoon bahaaye, tum aasoon bahaao! Saali aashiqui na ho gayi, lathi charge ho gaya.” – Kundan
The dialogue kept the humor alive during such an emotional scene.
19) “Ek baat main samajh gaya, Ladki aur Rocket, aapko kahin bhi le jaa sakte hai” – Kundan
After watching the movie, I guess everyone will agree to this dialogue of Raanjhanaa.
20) “Zara se ghaav ko cancer bana diya hai tumne” – Murari
Another dialogue which only suits the mouth of a best friend like Murari. It’s a line for someone who is not able to move on from his/her earlier relationships.
21) “Saanp ke phan se pichwada mat khujao, zeher phail gaya toh septic ho jayega.” – Kundan
The character of Dhanush was a lover boy who grew up in the streets of Banaras but dialogues like these brought out the bold side of his character.
22) “Yaar bahut sundar hai, matlab Katrina Kaif fail hai.” – Kundan
“Haan Katrina hi hai, na tujhe Katrina pehchaanti hai, aur na ye.” – Murari
A typical conversation between two best friends.
23) “ Us roz, us saal, us sharn aisa laga ki,
Banaras ki saari bhang hamare maathe mein,
Aur Bholenaath ka saara zehar humari aankon mai utar aayo ho.” – Kundan
Another dialogue from Raanjhanaa keeping the culture and love together.
24) 200 saal pehle Banaras Sheher laaye the hamare par dada ko Tamil Nadu se panditai karne ke liye, par laga Banaras ne aaj apnaaya hain hame.” – Kundan
When you are in Love, everything around seems good.
25) “Bas itni hi kahaani thi meri,
Ek ladki thi jo bagal me baithi thi,
Ek kuch doctor jo abhi bhi is ummeed me the ki shayad ye murda phir jaag pade,
Ek dost tha, jo kuch pagal tha!
Ek aur ladki thi jisne apna sab kuch haar diya tha mujhpe!
Meri Maa thi, Baap tha, Banaras ki Galiyaan thi,
Aur ye ek hamara shareer tha jo hame chor chuka tha!
Ye mera seena jisme abhi bhi aag baaki thi,
Ham uth sakte the par kiske liye?
Ham cheekh sakte the par kiske liye?
Mera pyaar Zoya, Banaras ki galiyaan, Bindiya, Murari, sab mujhse choot raha tha!
Mere seene ki aag ya to mujhe zinda kar sakti thi, ya mujhe maar sakti thi!
Par saala ab uthe kaun!
Kaun phirse mehnat kare dil lagaane ko, dil tudwaane ko!
Abe koi to aawaz deke rok lo!
Ye jo ladki murda si aankein liye baithi hai bagal mein,
Aaj bhi haan bol de toh Mahadev ki Kasam, waapas aa jayein!
Par nahi, ab saala mood nahi,
Aankhein moond lene mein hi sukh hai, So jaane me hi bhalayi hai!
Par uthenge kisi din usi Ganga Kinare, Damru bajane ko,
Unhi Banaras ki Galiyon mein Daud jaane ko,
Kisi Zoya Ke Ishq mein phir se padh jaane ko…!” – Kundan
This epilogue scene of the movie was full of emotions and was one of the best parts of the movie. The viewers went crazy with tears in their eyes.
The scene is from the hospital where Kundan is lying on the bed counting his last breath while Zoya is sitting beside him crying as she finally fell in love with him. We also see Murari and Bindiya completely broken after seeing their childhood best friend lying helpless like this.
We are usually not happy with the sad endings in the movies and expect some happy news at the end but movies like this are an exception.
Hope you liked the Raanjhanaa dialogues and fell in love with Kundan, Zoya, Murari, Bindiya, and the city of Banaras.
If you still haven’t watched Raanjhanaa yet, I don’t think you can feel the emotions behind these dialogues.
- Varanasi Travel Guide: Feel Like A Dweller And An Alien At The Same Time
- 36 Best Bollywood Dialogues of 2019 That Will Live On Forever
- 27 Irrfan Khan Dialogues That Immortalize His Excellent Acting Skills Forever
- 31 Inspiring Bollywood Dialogues that Hit The Indian Nerve
- 26 Sanjay Dutt Dialogues Which Will Stay In our Heart For Long