Office politics or Workplace politics, existing virtually at all levels of organizations, is simply the differences in opinions and conflicts of interests between people at work. There's a confluence of variety, which can become disastrous.
When a group of people with different mindsets and interests work together within an organization, there are chances that their interests are not always aligned with others' interests. Therefore, to be successful, some individuals engage in office politics.
The truth is that if you want to achieve in a business environment, then it's a good idea to develop some office politics skills as it can help prevent someone from taking advantage of you and also help you improve your career. If you fail to develop these skills, there are high chances that you may get left behind in terms of career progression.
Or sometimes even destroy your career. The proposal here is not to become highly political or engage yourself in bad politics, but at least be aware of your organization's politics. Here is the list of 50 office politics quotes to stay ahead and safe until the game ends.
1) Office Politics – you have to learn the rules of the game, and then you have to play them better than anyone else.
This quote calls back to the main difference between good and bad politics. It is crucial to practice good politics, contribute to the greater good by advancing your interests, and maintain your honour and dignity while being aware of the bad politics going around in the office.
2) The reward for good work is more work.
Ha. Sigh. This right here is the top performer among the office politics quotes as doing good work will help your boss to start trusting you with more responsibility, which in the end is good. It will make you feel like going for a promotion even if you think you aren't qualified or don't deserve it.be
3) When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but with creatures of emotion. – Dale Carnegie
Here, Dale advised us to maintain a certain level of civility to avoid hurting others' feelings in the office environment with dealings and interactions among co-workers. This quote is also applicable while engaging with family and friends as it is important not to endanger the relationship.
4) Do not reveal what you have thought upon doing, but by wise council keep it secret being determined to carry it into execution. – Chanakya
According to Chanakya, you should never tell your plans and goals to anyone until and unless it is achieved. Because declaring the plans openly can dishearten the enthusiasm required to work harder by satisfying only your self-identity, making you more vulnerable to failure.
5) One should feel lucky to have survived a day at a workplace with office politics.
Whether you like it or loathe it, office politics are a fact of life in any establishment. It is essential to practice "good" politics, enabling you to the organization more reasonably appropriately, and being aware of the "bad" politics around is equally important to avoid unwanted attention.
6) If you want to work in Corporate, then you should know how to play Chess.
This quote talks about creating a chess-like strategy in the workplace to be effective and solidify your position. It's essential to start making the right move to identify and understand who's on your side as well as on the ‘Other’.
7) The manager is an animal who is hated by everyone, but still, everyone wants to be one!
If getting promoted to the manager is your end goal, it's time to start thinking like one by taking pride in your work and thinking ahead of how you can be proactive. The rule here is simple If you want to be a boss, act like a boss!
8) It's the office politics that wear the workers down.
What you can learn from office politics quotes is that you can't avoid office politics. Your lack of attention to what's happening in the workplace can sabotage your career. The reality of working in a complex workplace is that you need to have both outstanding performance and political savvy to stay ahead.
9) He whose actions are disorganized has no happiness either in the midst of men or in a jungle – in the midst of men, his heart burns by social contacts, and his helplessness burns him in the forest. – Chanakya
Regardless of the situation, being disorganized in actions or work will lead to frustration and dissatisfaction, and you won't give you 100%. And nobody wants to stay in a company of an ineffective person who can never remain calm. So, try to be organized with your words and actions.
10) There are some people who always seem angry and continuously look for conflict. Walk away from these people. The battle they're fighting isn't with you. It's with themselves. – Rashida Rowe
Though the battle they're fighting isn't with you, it is vital to protect yourself as much as possible from anyone you suspect of Machiavellianism. Some people may feel insecure, and end up hurting you. Nonetheless, Be aware of your surroundings!
11) A person should not be too honest. Straight trees are cut first, and honest people are screwed first.
Yet again, Chanakya proved he was better at office politics than you will ever be. In this quote on office politics, he advises against being too honest and direct as it may make you come across as a rude person who doesn't value others' feelings. On the contrary, attempt being diplomatic, as it won't hurt anybody, and you can quickly get things done.
12) Do not let the behaviour of others destroy your inner peace. – Dalai Lama.
13) You may look around and see two groups here: white-collar, blue-collar. But I don't see it that way, and you know why not? Because I am collar-blind. – Michael Scott
This quote on office politics is from the self-appointed World's Best Boss, Michael Scott (played by Steve Carrell in "The Office"). He was a marvellous leader possessing qualities from compassion to loyalty. Here, he speaks about how leaders should never favour one person over another or believe that someone is more valuable just because of their work nature.
14) You must do the things you think you cannot do. – Eleanor Roosevelt
This quote on office politics is quite relevant, not only in real life but also in the workplace. The thing is, every time you meet a situation, which you may think is impossible to go through, you will find that if you can live through that, you can live through anything.
15) First impressions last. You start behind the 8-ball; you'll never get in front
This office politics quotes list wouldn't be complete without including this line by Harvey Specter of Suits. He will indeed teach you a thing or two about navigating those complicated office politics. 'Behind the eight ball' is a pool expression, meaning to find yourself in an unfavourable position. It is crucial to make your first shot your best shot and then keep improving.
16) In this office, we are helpful, we achieve goals, have fun, and are a team.
Yeah! Sounds pretty much like a dream. Though, this quote sums up the idea of an ideal office without politics.
17) To get promoted is not possible without playing office politics.
As far, it's clear from this list of office politics quotes whether you like playing office politics or not. Sadly, it is a part of the work reality. Your success in your workplace depends upon how skillfully you play, and strategically you indulge in politics going around.
18) The most important thing in communication is hearing what isn't said. – Peter F. Drucker
Not only in the workplace but this quote on office politics is very much relevant as it illustrates– The importance of being nonverbally smart. Verbal communication only impacts 7% of your overall message. The rest is nonverbal communication, serving as the single most potent form of communication in the form of your appearance and body language.
19) Office politics are worse than state politics. Try not to become a Wedge of it. ― Mohith Agadi
20) Office Politics isn't just laughing at the boss's jokes. It's how you get both formal and informal power around the office and can be used extremely productively.
This quote is reasonably talking about the office politics strategy discussed in this article of office politics quotes.
21) Let your work do the talking, do not indulge in gossip.
Let this be the biggest guru-mantra to improve your office productivity. Refusal to indulge in gossip is the right way of stopping gossip and rumours. Simply, refuse to respond to the particular issue about the absent person. An even better solution would be to subtly change the subject.
22) Workplace or Office: Space where people show their political skill with topmost creativity.
23) Office politics are bloody-minded but weak on content. – Mason Cooley
Office politics is a vital part of work-life and cannot be avoided. As we've seen, numerous office politics quotes are all about building and maintaining 'good politics' to get the upper hand. When it comes to Interpersonal skills, reflect on your emotions and learn to self-regulate. Develop Your "People Skills" and always think before you act.
24) A root cause of rising unemployment is not illiteracy but sycophancy, mainly at the top hierarchy.
People using flattery to get promotions or whatever they want makes sycophancy a form of office politics.
25) The person who says I'm not political is in great danger. Only the fittest will survive, and the fittest will be the ones who understand their office's politics.
26) Here's to another day of outward smiles and inward screams.
When you encounter a situation that makes you want to misbehave, step back outside of your occurrence and act calm. Always remember to Act, Don't React!
27) Avoid him who talks sweetly before you but tries to ruin behind your back, for he is like a pitcher of poison with milk on top. – Chanakya
There may be some people you will try to be good with you and try to sugar-coat everything, but you should be very careful about such people as you will never know that same person might be backstabbing you.
28) The world is divided into people who do things–and people who get the credit. – Dwight Morrow
29) Office politics are fleeting when destiny is your goal.
This quote on office politics converses about goal clarity. Office politics should not become an obstacle in achieving the goal with which you joined the organization.
30) A learned man is honoured by the people. A learned man commands respect everywhere for his learning. Indeed, learning is honoured everywhere. – Chanakya
Quoted by Chanakya, one of the most intellectual men of Indian history, known to everyone through his knowledge contribution. His quotes on office politics will motivate you to learn. Well knowledgeable people will always hold high esteem among other people. Learning is a never-ending process, and it will indeed help you achieve great success in life.
31) You also want to fire people who create office politics, and who are persistently negative.
If you don't hold the people to fire people, try to understand their goals to counter their negative politicking impact. Be brave – but not naive!
32) It helps if you really enjoy your job. If you don't, then just think about the money. – Lisa Nicole Carson
It's perfectly normal if you don't love what you do for a living but still do the work. To pay the bills and put food on the table, work may require exertion and effort. If you're lucky, you'll enjoy what you do, incorporating joy and passion for work. But that definitely doesn't mean that your entire career will be a walk in the park.
33) When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too. – Paulo Coelho
This is one true statement that you should think about in your goal getting journey when you feel no spirit and zeal to work.
34) Thank you for all of your hard work. We are going to reward you by giving you other people's work to finish.
Sigh. This quote on office politics states that you have to deal with such a situation to solidify your position in the work environment.
35) A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. – Winston Churchill
Don't dwell on what went wrong or what you did wrong. Instead, focus on what to do next. Spend your time and energy on moving forward toward finding opportunities in every difficulty.
36) There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure.
37) There’s no magic formula for great company culture. The key is just to treat your staff how you would like to be treated.
The most important thing to learn from these office politics quotes is maintaining a healthy work environment by neglecting the negative politics and treating people equally.
38) Only insecure people indulge in office politics.
Fear and insecurity are the two factors that make people engage in office politics. They often get insecure about their position and performance while fearing that they will not be held in high esteem by other co-workers. Be careful and not be a victim of their behaviour.
39) Before you start some work, always ask yourself these three questions- Why am I doing it, What the results might be and Will I be successful? Only when you think deeply and find satisfactory answers to these questions, go ahead. – Chanakya.
In the workplace, don't do anything without proper knowledge. Ask around and only begin the work when having satisfactory answers.
40) Test a servant while in the discharge of his duty, a relative in difficulty, a friend in adversity, and a wife in misfortune. – Chanakya
When the time is against you, only your real friends will help you get through that time, while others will back out by throwing random excuses.
41) When people are financially invested, they want a return. When people are emotionally invested, they want to contribute.
42) I just wanted to let you know how my soul has died since I started working here.
If you’re a victim of office politics, this quote may resonate with you. Be smart enough not to hold grudges, as it will surely help you stay sane in the rat race to the peak of the corporate ladder!
43) I don't care how old you are—fifty, sixty, or seventy. Your value doesn't diminish with each birthday.
It's actually the opposite; your value increases with each birthday with the added advantage of knowledge and experience in your work field. Age is just a number, and nobody can stop you from achieving your goals except you.
44) Make it your mission to finish your career on your terms with a bang, not a whimper.
From all these office politics quotes, you may learn a thing about surviving the workplace. That is to avoid all kinds of negativity and be on your best behaviour. It may make others look bad. But do good anyway!
45) Rudeness is the weak person's imitation of strength
46) There will be people who hate your guts. There will be people who hate your confidence. There will be people who want to be like you, they can’t, so they detest you for who you are.
This right here is pretty much the ugly truth of office politics. You cannot avoid office politics, so learn how to embrace it.
47) In weak companies, politics win. In strong companies, the best ideas do. – Steve Jobs.
This quote on office politics clearly states that, in weak companies, office politics make people with great ideas quit sacrificing their success to maintain control and authority.
48) I actively avoid office politics by hating everybody equally.
49) When you’re backed against the wall, break the goddamned thing down. – Harvey Specter (Suits)
If you ever feel stagnant in some parts of your life, break it down quickly and get back on your feet. Just do it!
In the workplace, confidentiality is a myth, so don’t expect people will keep their word. Pleasing those that matter and those you work closely with is half the battle won. It is also important to maintain political skills in assessing the political scenario.
Hoping these quotes on office politics give you the right knowledge and direction so that you can focus on yourself to stay ahead and safe until the game ends. Having political intelligence and skill will help keep your career afloat. Listen to all, keep good relations with them but trust no one.
- 10 Essential Footwear That Every Woman Should Have
- 30 Chanakya Neeti for Success In This Clever Human World
- 35 Harvey Specter Quotes That Are Powerful, Badass And Proven
- 60 Coffee Quotes for Coffee Lovers To Start The Day With Motivation
Explore: Feeding Trends | Events