Freedom, generally, is having the ability to act or change without constraint. Whereas, liberty is a form of freedom. Liberty is the freedom enjoyed by an individual within the moral constructs of society. These are synonyms to the words, privilege, deliverance, and independence.
Given below in this article are 30 quotes on freedom and liberty that explain how one can properly understand or enjoy the correct meaning of the words freedom and liberty. These freedom quotes will help in understanding that freedom brings huge responsibility in one’s life and if consumed usefully, can bring meaning to life.
Various people have said the following freedom quotes. Some of them are known for their great works and stand as examples of responsible men or women who have achieved their goals by utilizing their freedom of speech and thought.
Let us begin with our list of quotes on freedom:
1. “Without freedom of thought, there can be no such thing as wisdom - and no such thing as public liberty without freedom of speech.” - Benjamin Franklin
Freedom of conscience or ideas is the freedom of an individual to hold or consider a fact, viewpoint, or thought, independent of others viewpoints. Freedom of speech is provided as public liberty to express those thoughts.
2. “Stand for what’s right. Make your life beautiful. Make your life meaningful.” - Maxime Lagace
Quotes on freedom talk about the freedom of taking decisions. Do what feels right to you and stand by your decisions. Do not let others' opinions change your views over a situation to let them have an opportunity to provide meaning to your life.
3. “The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
Live with a free mind and soul in a world where the body is not free to explore. Life is not infinite and short to live it on someone else’s rules and views. You should live a happy life even though the actions will be understood to be rebellious by society.
4. “No one outside ourselves can rule us inwardly. When we know this, we become free.” - Buddha
The victory is when you conquer yourself then consider winning a thousand battles. No one can take this victory and freedom away. Isn’t this one of the most beautiful freedom quotes?
5. “Freedom - to walk free and own no superior.” - Walt Whitman
Freedom quotes give you the best perspective of life. When it is only you who can rule or own your views and decisions, you are then experiencing and enjoying freedom. There will be no superior or inferior to you.
6. “The secret to happiness is freedom….And the secret to freedom is courage.” - Thucydides
Courage is to be able to fight for what is your birthright and earning that freedom when it is being prohibited. Quotes on freedom tell us that happiness does not exist without freedom.
7. “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” - George Orwell
Everyone likes or loves to hear what they expect to be said to them. The liberty of freedom of speech and thought is used when they are told something out of their perspective and thoughts.
8. “Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty. The obedient must be slaves.” - Henry David Thoreau
It is not appreciated by society to be disobedient or it is taught to be obedient although, with the help of liberty, one can go out of the defined rules and ways to freely explore and enjoy the happiness that comes with it.
9. “Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought.” - Pope John Paul II
If you are not allowed to do or pursue something despite it being your right to have the freedom to do it, one should speak for the right to have what ought to be theirs.
10. “Better to die fighting for freedom than be a prisoner all days of your life.” - Bob Marley
This quote speaks for itself and how much truth it holds. It is important to understand that one has a right to freedom to live life in his or her way. One should accept this freedom and be courageous enough to fight for it instead of giving into someone else’s described way of living life.
11. “Freedom lies in being bold.” - Robert Frost
There is no freedom without courage. You can have freedom but use it or take advantage of it when you have enough courage to defy every rule or everyone around you.
12. “Freedom means the opportunity to be what we never thought we would be.” - Daniel J. Boorstin
Let your life take spontaneous turns and explore all the options and opportunities you see or find that comes along your way. Make use of the right of freedom given to you and be what you never would have expected to become in your life. Grow out of your expectations and do not try to measure up to anyone else’s expectations.
13. “When a man is denied the right to live the life he believes in, he has no choice but to become an outlaw.” - Nelson Mandela
It is the society that defines the rules for you to work according to and also accuse you as an outlaw or a rebellion when it senses you enjoying the right of freedom by defying them. You are not constricted to live by society but live by your own rules and make your life meaningful.
14. “Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.” - Frank Herbert
Using your freedom to do things you desire without any discipline to control your actions will only make you push your freedom to waste. Learn the discipline to control and respect time while enjoying the freedom to make a benefit out of it instead.
15. “My definition of a free society is a society where it is safe to be unpopular.” - Adlai Stevenson
One does not need to be with someone for their whole life. It is satisfying to belong with someone or something but it is not necessary to believe that happiness will only be attained by gaining attention and fame from everyone around you. Staying alone and enjoying it is an act of great courage and independence.
16. “Instead of trying to make your life perfect, give yourself the freedom to make it an adventure, and go ever upward.” - Drew Houston
Do not be afraid to go exploring in your life. An adventurous life will only make your living more interesting and happening. The regret of not enjoying your life to the fullest is the worst type of regret at the end of your life.
17. “There must be freedom for all to live, to think, to worship, no book, no avenue must be closed.” - James Larkin
Freedom is the birthright of everyone and the liberty of enjoying it fully should be provided for free and not at any cost. Everyone is unique in their ways and should be allowed to express it.
18. “A hero is someone who understands the responsibility that comes with his freedom.” - Bob Dylan
There are many nations with millions of people who live with freedom although the one who understands the responsibility that comes with it and fulfils it with discipline is the hero of his own life.
19. “Grace is the beauty of form under the influence of freedom.” - Friedrich Schiller
You will show grace and beauty when you have a free mind, body and soul. It will make you feel satisfied with yourself which will make you shine with happiness and contentment.
20. “Freedom is never given; it is won.” - A. Philip Randolph
The freedom which we enjoy in the present day was never given to us as a birthright during the time of colonialism. It was won by our great leaders and soldiers together for our better future. They stood for it, fought for it.
21. “We have no right to believe that freedom can be won without struggle.” - Che Guevara
"Si vis Pacem, para Bellum" is a famous Latin adage which means if you want peace, prepare for war. Nevertheless, the true meaning to this is to believe in the fact that peace doesn't come easy, it comes with struggle, be it a war-like situation or a lawful protest. wrong are those men who believe peace does come without struggle but ease.
22. “The rights of every man are diminished when the rights of one man are threatened.” - John F. Kennedy
The quote is more self-explanatory which matches the famous wordings of Martin Luther King Jr's "injustice somewhere is threat to justice everywhere".
23. “If we don’t believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don’t believe in it at all.” - Noam Chomsky
Liberty of expressing a point of view is something that should not just be meant for a certain class or society of people. If we wish to live in harmony, in a world where there is no discrimination on basis of caste, race, sex, religion etc, and everyone is to be respected equally with the high honour of integral values then we must respect each others point of view given them the liberty to express their expression
24. “It is beautiful to be alone. To be alone does not mean to be lonely. It means the mind is not influenced and contaminated by society.” - Jiddu Krishnamurti
As the saying goes, solitude is bliss and one must spend their time alone which is a beneficial process of growth as he/she analyzes his/her inhibitions or activities and which acts as an instrument to work upon those acts and help one grow through the process.
25. “Most people demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.” - Soren Kierkegaard
An opportunity strikes not always in favour of one and one must be smart enough to utilise it correctly. Most of the people do get their opportunity they wish to somehow or the other but fail to understand the real worth of time and take it as a casual approach and feel sorry for the same but they tend to forget the fact that sorry can never make a dead man alive. So never miss on your chances of proving yourself as it is hard to know when might be the one you would get next.
26. “A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything.”— Malcolm X.
Integrity is a basic aspect of knowing a man's character. If he/she doesn't have this foundation value of being a good human being then he/she can fall for any sort of incentives with selfish behaviour.
27. “Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other men, but a right that belongs to us by laws of God and Nature.” - Benjamin Franklin
As humans on this earth, we are not bound to serve anyone for any of their desires. Our freedom is a birthright given to us by the almighty and all must be treated with an equal amount of respect and freedom without any dissemination.
28. “Freedom of teaching and of opinion in a book or press is the foundation for the sound and natural development of any people.” - Albert Einstein
One pen, one teacher, and one book can change the world. This is the power of teaching and education which is an important aspect of inculcating moral ethics and values in humans that also acts as a foundation for sustainable development of mankind with harmony.
29. “The war of freedom will never really be won because the price of freedom is constant vigilance over ourselves and over our government.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
It can become tiring to handle all the freedom and liberty and one can be tempted to give into it and not care about anything else in life. But by keeping a constant check on your greediness towards having more freedom can help you win the war of freedom.
30. “Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, most people are frightened of responsibility.” - Sigmund Freud
With freedom comes huge responsibility but if one is not ready to take that responsibility then gaining freedom would not be a win. Despite the freedom, you would not be given authority if you are declining or ignoring your responsibilities and everyone enjoys some authority.
Some of these freedom quotes relate to you and your life. A person needs to understand his or her right to attain freedom and liberty. As well as for people to use that freedom of thought, speech, etc. in a way in which their life can gain meaning and move forward to complete their aims and goals.
Many people live with such freedom but still fail to make something out of their lives. The above quotes on freedom will help them gain discipline through which they can drive freedom to a successful and fulfilled life.
- 30 Nostalgia Quotes That Prove Everyone Has Different Memories
- 50 Appreciation Quotes To Show Your Gratitude and Thankfulness
- 60 Forgiveness Quotes That Prove How Big Hearted Person You Are
Explore: Feeding Trends | Events