Aesthetics is a branch of philosophy that may be defined narrowly as the theory of beauty that deals with natural and artificial sources of aesthetic experience and judgment or, more broadly, as that together with the philosophy of art. The beautiful women, the shabby-looking men, the gorgeous portrait, the hideous dress, and so on are examples of how aesthetics offers insight into things.
The things include sounds: the beautiful music, the annoying noise, the husky voice, actions: the kind action, the rude person, and so on. Taking all of this into account, it is understandable that those aesthetics are a big part of being human. Indeed, almost everything you experience is a part of aesthetics.
What did Wittgenstein mean when he said that 'Ethics and aesthetics are one'? Broadly construed, Aesthetics and Ethics concern the relationship between art and morality, and the ethical aspect pointed out in Wittgenstein's question has to do with human actions. In contrast, the aesthetic is concerned with contemplation, with seeing or beholding something.
At some point, it becomes distinct that aesthetics and ethics, although they can be close in association with each other, do, in fact, co-exist with some degree of tension between them. Here are 30 quotes about aesthetics that will help teach you all the ethics:
1) Aesthetics is for the artist like ornithology is for the birds.
Among various aesthetics quotes, this Barnett Newman’s remark about aesthetics is insightfully considered accurate. Here, this quote acknowledges that Aesthetics is essentially about art and is practically irrelevant to many artists. Ornithology is almost irrelevant to all birds, although for a different reason.
2) The aesthetics aren’t merely a side note, they’re as important as anything else.
Put merely, aesthetics make us happy. The things we are surrounded by in our daily environment had the most significant effect on our happiness, including – antiquity, atmosphere, beautiful architecture, and cobblestone streets, looking at people, to name a few, as they elicit feelings of joy and calm. They connect us to our ability to reflect on and appreciate the world around us, which gives us feelings of contentment and hope.
3) As for everything else, so for a mathematical theory: beauty can be perceived but not explained.
This quote about aesthetics calls back to the proverb: beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. Everyone is beautiful in their own way, but not everyone can see it. Our perception is what makes things look more attractive.
4) Beauty is sometimes born of pain.
Life is fascinating, and blessed are those who see beautiful things in humble places where others see nothing. Some of the most tremendous pain endured during life's journey becomes the most incredible strength beautifying the pain persisted.
5) The more people explore the world, the more they realize in every country there’s a different aesthetic. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Beauty does not lie in 'things' but is entirely subjective. It is a matter of feeling and emotion of the person beholding the object. The perception of beauty is subjective - what one person finds beautiful, another may not.
6) Paper is a uniquely beautiful format, more so than the web, I think: you need to invest in the aesthetics.
Aesthetics is basically perceiving an object and deriving pleasure through our senses. Investing in aesthetics offers pleasurable experiences to the person, not for utility but for the sensory delight they enjoy.
7) We all appreciated a certain aesthetic, and with that appreciation came a certain stylized presence.
Admiration of beauty or aesthetic appreciation is appreciating and valuing the fine arts of music, literature, dance, and visual arts. What is considered beautiful is not agreed upon by all or specific culture at some point. However, appreciating aesthetics can inspire an emotional response, and also helps psychologists how the brain processes what we see.
8) I believe that one of the most powerful things of all is aesthetics.
Aesthetics quotes revolve around the nature of beauty and the fact that people prefer pretty things. It is a core principle that defines visual arts, and it enhances pleasurable insight. Therefore Aesthetics are considered essential and powerful.
9) Leonardo Da Vinci combined art and science and aesthetics and engineering, that kind of unity is needed once again.
Leonardo da Vinci’s studies in science and art helped advance past and modern-day society interestingly. Indeed the ability to perceive and appreciate aesthetics is needed once again.
10) I hate that aesthetic game of the eye and the mind, played by these connoisseurs, these mandarins who "appreciate" beauty. What is beauty, anyway? There's no such thing. I never "appreciate," any more than I "like." I love, or I hate.
Of all the quotes about aesthetics, Pablo Picasso's one will make you think more profoundly regarding the meaning it holds. Suppose you have something or someone and you don't value it a lot, but when the person or thing gets away, you start making time to appreciate it.
11) Design is about the betterment of our lives poetically, aesthetically, experientially, sensorially, and emotionally.
The design has a tremendous positive impact on our life and our well-being. Not everyone can design new things, but everyone can think like a designer, build and prototype your way through life, aesthetically, experientially, sensorially, and emotionally.
12) Aesthetic sense is the twin of one’s instinct for self-preservation and is more reliable than ethics.
Quotes about aesthetics give us a different perspective. When we look at things and find them aesthetically pleasing and beautiful, we actually find ourselves aesthetically developed. We grow our ethics, which helps us craft a distinguished individual presence.
13) Creating is about sharing ideas, sharing aesthetics, sharing what you believe in with other people.
The ultimate goal of art is to show the soul's internal tissues to acknowledge the importance of sharing sensibility, beauty, history, and knowledge. Thanks to a collected fragment of art throughout history which fulfills the role to bequeath it to future generations.
14) An artist’s concern is to capture beauty wherever he finds it.
Look through the camera to capture what's happening in your life right at this moment. Pour your thoughts into the journal capturing the emotions you're feeling right now!
15) Aesthetic pleasure is not to be taken lightly; it’s very important for the spirit and therefore the health.
As the empirical studies suggest, the idea of the positive emotional output extorted from the aesthetic sense affects mood and indirectly promotes health and well-being. Sometimes the beauty extends beyond aesthetics to influence human health and well-being.
16) I always loved aesthetics. Not particularly fashion, but an idea of beauty.
Beauty is not about self-awareness, personal swagger, and individuality. It’s a matter of aesthetics; a kind of satisfaction to oneself is a combination of qualities that pleases the intellect or moral sense.
17) You may be one person to the world but you may also be the world to one person.
This quote about aesthetics is from Dr. Seuss, and it deserved all the appreciation as it reminds us how much the action of one person can make a difference in someone else's life. So, next time your friend or family is in some problem or having a down day, do something for them, as you will never know how much it may mean to them.
18) Whenever you are creating beauty around you, you are restoring your own soul.
Life can be difficult, but its beauty, love, and kindness make life a grand and glorious experience. Beauty is everywhere and is continually being birthed anew, and beauty knows and has no boundaries. It is essential to appreciate the beauty and create it, restoring the souls of all those whose work you encounter.
19) Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it.
Everyone and everything is beautiful and unique in its own way, but the sad thing about it is that not everyone can see it. The thing is perception, which tends to vary from one person to another. It is rightly said that "Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder."
20) My aesthetic is pretty classic. I like to keep things simple but appreciate the details.
Appreciating aesthetics encompasses several different normative systems as the notion of varied tastes applies on a systemic level, which articulates the idea of what makes an object appealing or unappealing to the senses. Aesthetic appreciation does not require any conclusion by an individual but appreciating the small details.
21) If a work of art is rich and vital and complete, those who have artistic instincts will see its beauty and those to whom ethics appeal more strongly than aesthetics will see its moral lesson.
One of the most famous and most frequently quoted statements about artists' moral obligation can be found in Oscar Wilde's preface to his novel The Picture of Dorian Gray. To explore the possible interpretation of this quote, turn to the novel itself.
22) Sometimes I can feel my bones straining under the weight of all the lives I'm not living.
This is one of the powerful sentences that provides excellent insight into how you may feel and think. Every choice you make in life could lead to the possibility of becoming someone you aren't right now and who you could quickly become by opting for that choice or taking the giant leap.
23) There's only so much you can do until you get on set and see the aesthetics of what you're dealing with. Then you see what the other players are giving to you. It's all about the transfer of energy between different actors.
Art is not merely an appreciation of form and content coupled to a sense of esthetics. But as human beings associate various levels of meaning within aesthetics with some abilities to create art and contribute to positive change in society, transferring others' powers to do the same.
24) I don't need to be so full of myself that I feel I am without flaw. I can feel beautiful and imperfect at the same time. I have a healthy relationship with my aesthetic insecurities.
For Lupita Nyong, a 37-year-old actress, accepting her insecurities isn’t a one-time deal—it’s an ongoing process. No matter how confident you are, opening up to your insecurities can be the most challenging thing. And it is absolutely normal and potentially healthy to see insecurities in yourself.
25) I think that's what art is: art is communication made in the hope that interesting miscommunications will arise.
The real purpose of art is not to create a beautiful object but to communicate and penetrate the world. Finding its place in the world, holding the aesthetic quality an individual or object possesses and hoping for that interesting miscommunication.
26) Behind every exquisite thing that existed, there was something tragic.
Well, if this isn't the most powerful statement among the quotes about aesthetics. This quote is by Oscar Wilde from his very philosophical novel 'The Picture of Dorian Gray', though its meaning is lost in today's time.
27) Beauty is how you feel inside, and it reflects in your eyes. It is not something physical.
From all aesthetics quotes, it is clear that we are drawn towards aesthetics. And the truth of which can be found in 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder.' Sometimes your opinion may not align with those who hold under idealization. Thus this means that aesthetic values are both objective and relative.
28) Nothing's perfect, the world's not perfect. But it's there for us, trying the best it can; that's what makes it so damn beautiful.
The harsh reality of life is no one is perfect, and no one has it all. You just have to accept your flaws and learn to love yourself. The mistakes you make, you have to live with them and try to not make them again.
29) Art is an invention of aesthetics, which in turn is an invention of philosophers. … What we call art is a game.
The 18th-century historians, painters, novelists, and philosophers embraced a metaphysics of immanence and the naturalistic, thought that the perspective of immanence enjoyed and 'Art' was invented, which in turn became the invention of aesthetics.
30) In simple words, ‘Beauty’ is what gladdens the heart. Neither a symmetrical face nor a shapely body – If the sight of you generates happiness, you’re beautiful.
Even though we are not always aware of this, our happiness is always linked with beauty. A beautiful person is a person who lives up to their potential with grace and confidence. If the sight of you generates happiness, you’re gorgeous, and beauty often moves us to tears, purifying our inner worlds.
The term 'Aesthetic' was introduced into the philosophical lexicon during the Eighteenth Century. Yet today, it is quite challenging to provide more than a general definition of aesthetics as the branch aesthetic deals with the beauty of natural and artificial sources.
But beauty is something every individual perceives and responds to differently. A particular individual may react to certain things with awe and amazement; to them, it might resemble a "peak experience" or an epiphany. To the rest of the person, it might just be a sublime occurrence.
However, aesthetics is devoted to the study and theory of the experience of beauty in psychology. It is up to your perception to find your aesthetic. To each their own!
We hope you analyze these 30 quotes about aesthetics not through context, but by the aesthetic!
- 35 Quotes On Science and Technology to Amaze and Amuse You
- 30 Quotes About Change To Navigate Through Transitions Smoothly
- 30 Quotes About Unity That Can Illuminate The Whole World
- 30 Quotes About Kindness That Will Stay With You Forever
- 30 Nostalgia Quotes That Prove Everyone Has Different Memories
Explore: Feeding Trends | Events