How I Met Your Mother abbreviated as HIMYM is an American sitcom, created by Craig Thomas and Carter Bays for CBS. The series, which ran from 2005 to 2014, is about the lead character, Ted Mosby, the architect and his group of friends, Marshall, Lilly, Barney and Robin in New York City's Manhattan.
Ted recalls from the year 2030 to his son, Luke, and daughter, Penny, narrates the events from 2005 to 2013 that led him to meet their mother. Ted dates a lot of girlfriends over a period of time, looking for his One True Love, the woman he will marry, but he never gives up.
This series will end up teaching you a lot about life, friendship and relationships throughout 9 seasons. It is also about how friendships turn into family.
The group of friends spend an incredible amount of time at the MacLaren’s Pub, where they hang out, talking about their day to day life, their careers, and relationships having the most memorable times of their lives.
It teaches you that someone or the other is out there waiting for you no matter what and friendships come and go and you lose touch with people over the years and that’s fine. More valuable lessons like this are hiding in How I Met Your Mother quotes.
Let’s have a look at some of the best and popular How I Met Your Mother Quotes that describe life perfectly and give us a perspective.
1. “Being in a couple is hard. And committing, making sacrifices it’s hard. But if it’s the right person, it’s easy. Looking at that girl, and knowing she's all you really want out of life, that should be the easiest thing in the world. And if it’s not like that, then she’s not the one.” — Marshall
One ends up dating a lot of women in their lifetime, but the right one is the only one with whom you picture your life and ready to face the ups and downs of life. Being in a relationship through thick and thin is hard, but with the right person, everything is easy.
2. “There are two big days in any love story: the day you meet the girl of your dreams and the day you marry her.” — Ted Mosby
A little way down the road, you will get nostalgic about two days in your life. One being, when you meet the girl and know that she is the one you want to spend the rest of your life with and the second being when you marry her and know that you wanna grow old with this woman and have babies with.
3. “If you keep giving up on people so quickly, you’re gonna miss out on something great.” — Robin Scherbatsky
We meet a lot of people in our lifetime, some stay, some leave, but the ones who deserve to be in your life, do deserve a second chance. You never know what you end up missing if you don’t give them a chance.
4. “But love doesn’t have to make sense! You can’t logic your way into or out of it. Love is totally nonsensical. But we have to keep doing it or else we’re lost and love is dead, and humanity should just pack it in. Because love is the best thing we do.” — Ted Mosby
Love is irrational, it makes you do stupid things in life, which has no meaning. But, if we don’t do such illogical things, we will be completely disoriented in life and end up losing our soul. No matter what we should choose love over anything else.
5. “When I let a day go by without talking to you, that day is just no good.” — Barney Stinson
When we are in love, we always want to be around that person and talk to them. It makes us feel happy and positive. Our hearts would crush, not seeing that person even for one day and that day would not be a good day.
6. “Definitions are important.” — Lily Aldrin
When we are in a relationship, we need to label it, whether it is friendship, love or friends with benefits. The couple needs to have a talk and come to a conclusion about how they want to go ahead with their relationship.
7. “Revenge fantasies never work out the way you want.” — Marshall
In case you are planning to take revenge on someone, you might feel that everything will turn out the way you want, but life plays you funny and things don’t work out the way you want. Take note: - Revenge fantasies never work out the way you want.
8. “Sometimes you fall for someone you didn’t expect, but that doesn’t make it wrong. Doesn’t everyone deserve to be happy?” — Barney Stinson
Sometimes you are in a one-sided relationship, and you didn’t expect to fall for that person. The other person is unaware of this. But, the best part is that the one in love is happy as he/she doesn’t expect anything in return.
9. “Shouldn’t we hold out for the person who doesn’t just tolerate our little quirks but actually likes them?” — Ted Mosby
We all are flawed, full of weirdness and quirkiness. But, the right person would fall in love with your flawed personality and never let you go. One should never lose such a person from their life as they are very special.
10. “If you’re looking for the word that means caring about someone beyond all rationality and wanting them to have everything they want no matter how much it destroys you, it’s love. And when you love someone you...don’t stop, ever.” — Ted Mosby
When you love someone, it will tear you apart, crush your heart, make you question your sensibility and give all that you have to them, no matter how much it hurts you. But you still love them and once you love them, you love them till eternity.
11. “That’s life, you know, we never end up where you thought you wanted to be.” — Marshall Eriksen
Life is unpredictable. You can’t predict which road you will take and what it will lead to. The uncertainty is what makes it exciting and makes it fun to live. One minute everything is going exactly as we planned, the other minute everything has fallen apart.
12. “Sometimes we search for one thing but discover another.” — Barney Stinson
We spend all our life chasing for something, but we don’t get it. We end up being disappointed, but you never know God has planned something better for us, which we were dreaming of. So, when one door closes, the other opens.
13. “You can’t just skip ahead to where you think your life should be.” — Lily Aldrin
Life is a series of events. Some happy, some sad. We need to experience life as it is. We can’t get greedy and go through the parts of life we want and where we think it should be. Acceptance of life the way it is is the key.
14. “Because sometimes even if you know how something’s going to end, that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the ride.” — Ted Mosby
There are times in life we can predict certain things and know how it is going to end. We might not like the consequences, but that doesn’t mean we don’t enjoy the ride. Take what life gives you, and cherish it while you can.
15. “The future is scary, but you can’t just keep running back to the past because it’s familiar.” — Robin Scherbatsky
You might like the past because it’s nice and you know what’s going to happen. It will be very tempting to go back to your past, but one needs to move forward in life and see where it takes you. You never know you might be surprised.
16. “If you’re not scared, you’re not taking a chance, and if you’re not taking a chance, then what the hell are you doing?” — Ted Mosby
One needs to be brave in life and be courageous to face anything life offers you. If you are scared, that means you are heading in the right direction and taking the right chance. It’s important to take a chance or else life would be directionless.
17. “You can’t design your life like a building. It doesn’t work that way. You just have to live it, and it will design itself. Listen to what the world is telling you to do and take the leap.” — Lily Aldrin
We wish life was as easy as designing a building. But, that’s not the case. We need to listen to our intuitions and also to the universe and take that leap of faith. Live life with your heart on your sleeves and have faith in yourself. Everything will happen by itself if you trust the universe and let it do its work.
18. “Never underestimate the power of destiny. Because when you least expect it, the littlest thing can cause a ripple effect that changes your life.” — Ted Mosby
One needs to believe in the power of destiny. You can’t always look out for love in every person you meet out there. Destiny will introduce you to the one who is meant for you. The smallest of things will cause a positive effect on your life and end up giving what you want. Just believe in Destiny.
19. “It’s only once you’ve stopped that you realize how hard it is to start again.” — Ted Mosby
Starting over takes a lot of effort and not everyone is lucky to succeed in life when it comes to second chances. It’s better to never stop and keep working towards your goal before you realise how hard it is to start again.
20. “It’s not about proof; it’s about faith. Faith is what gives life shape and meaning.” — Marshall Eriksen
You don’t need positive results, or “proof,” to have positive thoughts. If you have faith in something better, it will come. There are benefits of having faith in yourself like you will get and achieve anything in life and make your life more meaningful.
21. “Whether a gesture’s charming or alarming depends on how it’s received.” — Ted Mosby
How you perceive things in life, will decide if you will be happy or sad. You can alter your life by reacting differently and choosing a different path for yourself. There is a fine line between a meet-cute and being a crazy stalker.
22. “We struggle so hard to hold on to these things that we know are gonna disappear eventually. And that’s really noble.” — Ted Mosby
In life, we get stubborn and go chasing things we are good at without knowing that would disappear in a matter of time. It’s noble that those things that we don’t want disappear, teaching us that we don’t need them in the first place.
23. “Whatever you do in this life, it’s not legendary unless your friends are there to see it.” — Barney Stinson
Having true friends is one of the most important things in life. Hanging out with your friends, making memories that you will cherish your entire life is what one wants. If you want to do something epic, make sure you have your friends to accompany you or else what's the point.
24. “Maybe this isn’t a breakup. Maybe this is just two friends getting back together.” — Barney Stinson
Dating someone you are friends with is great. But the consequences can be difficult to handle. What if the couple breaks up? Will it affect their friendship? Maybe the break up will lead to two friends getting back together!!
25. “You’re my best friend, alright? You don’t have to tell me I’m yours. But the way I see it, we’re a team. Without you, I’m just the dynamic uno.” — Barney Stinson
Everyone in life needs a partner in crime with whom they can go on an adventure. A person with whom you can live life together, it could be your best friend or a lover. Even if you both are not on the same page, that’s completely okay. Without this person, you are all by yourself.
26. “And that’s how it goes kids. The friends, neighbours, drinking buddies and partners in crime you love so much when you’re young, as the years go by, you just lose touch. You will be shocked, kids when you discover how easy it is in life to part ways with people forever. That’s why, when you find someone you want to keep around, you do something about it.” — Ted Mosby
As a kid growing up, you come across many people, friends, neighbours etc and you tend to outgrow some of them as you grow up. It is easy to lose touch as relationships are very fragile and tend to break. But if you find someone you must keep around, you make sure you never let them go.
27. “A bro is always entitled to do something stupid, as long as the rest of his bros are all doing it.” — Barney Stinson
Every guy in his life has a bunch of bros, who he can’t live without. It’s okay if one of them does something stupid, as long as the rest of his bros are also doing it. How else will they be called bros in the end, if not doing stupid things together?
28. “Ted, I believe you and I met for a reason. It’s like the universe was saying, ‘Hey, Barney, there’s this dude, he’s pretty cool, but it is your job to make him awesome.’” — Barney Stinson
In your friend circle, you would have a friend who is pretty sober, but cool, like an introvert and an extrovert who is full of life. The combination of these two people is fire as they balance each other out. Everybody needs such a combination in their life.
29. “Whenever I’m sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead.” — Barney Stinson
This is a great life tip and a life hack. If you wanna be awesome, just stop being sad. For the ones who are depressed, it would be much easier for them as they just have to change their mood from sad to awesome in a blink of an eye. Lol, just kidding!!
30. I realized that I’m searching, searching for what I really want in life. And you know what? I have absolutely no idea what that is.” — Barney Stinson
It’s okay if you don’t know where you are headed in life. Trust me not everybody knows and are completely clueless. Never give up and keep looking and searching and don’t worry about the clock ticking. You take your time darling….
31. “A lie is just a great story that someone ruined with the truth.” — Barney Stinson
People love to stretch the truth or even make up something completely different. Sometimes those stories are so amazing and we believe in them so hard that when the truth comes and ruins it and all hope is lost. We believe most but when the truth comes out it hurts.
32. “In marriage, being right is less important than being supportive. Remember: Happy wife equals happy life.” — Lily Aldrin
If you want your life to be happy after marriage, you need to be supportive of your wife and be a good listener. You can’t keep arguing about being right. That will make the situation even worse. It’s the universal truth that a happy wife equals happy life.
33. “I finally found the one, Marshall. Her name is Bacon.” — Ted Mosby
Food is BAE(Before Anybody Else). All the foodaholics would know the true love and passion they share for food. Sometimes you don’t need a life partner, but just food and that’s enough. Food is everything. End of Discussion.
34. “Your package has always been enough. You may not realize this, Marshall Eriksen, but you’ve got a huge package.” — Lily Aldrin
Every girl wants a great guy, who is kind, loving, caring, sweet and rich(extremely important). But, you know what a girl wants is a guy who is great in bed with a huge package. Don’t you agree ladies?
35. “I’m cuddly. Deal with it.” — Marshall Eriksen
Every person comes in different shapes and sizes. Some are skinny, some are fat and some are cuddly. It’s okay to be cuddly as long as you love yourself. You need to accept yourself the way you are, irrespective of others accepting you are not. Be cuddly, Be snuggly.
36. “Believe it or not, I was not always as awesome as I am today.” — Barney Stinson
Everyone has their best days and also their low days. People don’t realise when you are having your low days and you don’t feel awesome every day.
But that’s okay because the sun will be out tomorrow and change your fate.
37. “You have to let me dance my own battles.” — Marshall Eriksen
Every person has a bunch of friends who are their support system. These friends are there for them no matter what. But one needs to understand that, they need to be independent and fight their own battles.
38. “Everyone has an opinion on how long it takes to recover from a breakup.” — Ted Mosby
Time heals everything. Ever been depressed over a guy, and your friends giving you tips, how to get over him. Some might say, a month. A few would say a week. But only you would know how long you need to heal and get over the guy.
39. “Dude...where’s your suit? Just once, when I say ‘suit up’ I wish you’d put on a suit.” — Barney Stinson
For legendary occasions, one needs to suit up to look dapper. You might feel that a casual look like a shirt and denim, or maybe a tuxedo would do its job. But trust me, you need to put the suit on and let it do its magic.
40. “Somewhere along the line, I forgot to pursue my dream, and now I’m old, and I’m a mom, and it’s just too late for me.” — Lily Aldrin
This is a great learning lesson for all the moms out there, that it’s never too late to start over. Go for that dream job, you always wanted to pursue. Don’t think you can’t do it because you are too old. If you can have a baby, you can have the strength to go chase your dreams.
How I Met Your Mother fans must be getting nostalgic after reading these quotes. Trust me, these How I Met Your Mother quotes will make you live through life and will help you tackle all that life has to offer. The show did end on a sad note, the ones who know, know what I am talking about. No spoilers chill!!!!
But it taught so much that you can’t imagine learning from any book in the world. The impact the cast and the story have had on its fans is incomparable. It’s a funny show but has a lot of depth to it. Also has a lot of twists and turns and a sense of mystery to it. Made us laugh, made us cry and also inspired us. It did teach us that everything will be alright in the end.
Moreover, it also teaches you other life lessons, such as self-care, it’s okay to make mistakes, you need to accept to move on, take every challenge life throws or doesn’t throw at you, you can reach your goals, even if the road is a little longer and last but not the least; everything happens for a reason.
You will get through college, you will get that dream job and you will find “The One” you are looking for. Just have patience and faith in life and you will get what you want. All’s well that ends well. In the end, just keep these How I Met Your Mother quotes in mind!
- 30 Dead Poets Society Quotes That Are Motivating For All
- 35 Breaking Bad Quotes Which Tells Why It is Best TV Series
- 20 Wolverine Quotes That Prove He Is The Best X-Men Ever
- 25 Pursuit Of Happiness Quotes To Hustle Till You Succeed
- 30 Fast And Furious Quotes About Life And Friendship
Explore: Feeding Trends | Events