Eckhart Tolle is a teacher, author and a spiritual guide and thus, is very well known for his teachings and is rated as one of the best writers of all times. His books like ‘the power of now’ have been rated as the new york bestsellers more times than we can count.
He was born in Germany and started looking for answers in his life at a mere age of 19. In the beginning, he was a german and/or Spanish teacher at the Cambridge university and is known to have started his journey there.
Below given are a few Eckhart Tolle quotes which will make a large impact on you causing may be some differences in our life:
1. The past has no power over the present moment.
This one might be heard multiple times. Here, the author is trying to say that though the past affects our present we should try and move forward leaving it behind.
2. Some changes look negative on the surface but you will soon realize that space is being created in your life for something new to emerge.
Another one of Eckhart Tolle quotes trying to tell us that we should leave the past behind or at least try to.
3. The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but your thoughts about it.
In this quote, the author is trying to tell us that no matter what or how the situation is, it is our thinking that at last affects us
4. Acknowledging the good that you already have in your life is the foundation for all abundance.
The base for gaining happiness/good in life is actually accepting its presence in life.
5. Give up defining yourself - to yourself or to others. You won't die. You will come to life. And don't be concerned with how others define you. When they define you, they are limiting themselves, so it's their problem. Whenever you interact with people, don't be there primarily as a function or a role, but as the field of conscious Presence. You can only lose something that you have, but you cannot lose something that you are.
If I keep it short and crisp, this quote actually says that you are who you are because of the work you put in so don’t let anyone change that.
6. Realize deeply that the present moment is all you have. Make the NOW the primary focus of your life.
Quit thinking about the future and quit cribbing about the past. The present is all you have and try to make the best of it.
7. Sometimes letting things go is an act of far greater power than defending or hanging on.
People who can let go easily are considered as weak but instead, they are the ones who are stronger than the others in a true sense and so is the act of letting go.
8. To love is to recognize yourself in another.
Before loving someone, we see a part of us in the person we display affection to. Weird yet true.
9. Life isn't as serious as the mind makes it out to be.
Eckhart Tolle quotes coin important lessons about life. Our mind makes us think that life is difficult when actually it may not be
10. Life is the dancer and you are the dance.
This Eckhart Tolle quote is a simple representation of the statement that life does not follow us, we do.
11. Anything that you resent and strongly react to in another is also in you.
Any of your opinions and decisions is a part of you and no matter how much you deny, it will not change
12. Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it.
This Eckhart Tolle quote can be interpreted as a request to accept what the reality is without changing it.
13. You can only lose something that you have, but you cannot lose something that you are.
You can definitely lose something that you own but you can not lose a part of yourself.
14. Love is not selective, just as the light of the sun is not selective. It does not make one person special. It is not exclusive.
We all have or want that one special relationship. Don't we? That is a wrong fact because each of our relationships/bonds is as special as any other.
15. You find peace not by rearranging the circumstances of your life, but by realizing who you are at the deepest level.
By this quote, Eckhart Tolle is trying to convey that you will find peace not by changing your surroundings but instead by looking deep within yourself and realizing who you actually are.
16. Any action is often better than no action, especially if you have been stuck in an unhappy situation for a long time. If it is a mistake, at least you learn something, in which case it's no longer a mistake. If you remain stuck, you learn nothing.
Doing something is always better than doing nothing. This is what the quote is trying to explain. Not doing anything makes you stuck in no work and no learning zone.
17. Death is a stripping away of all that is not you. The secret of life is to "die before you die" --- and find that there is no death.
Death is not when you do not breathe anymore instead it is when a part of your soul is detached. Sometimes, it is the good parts which are taken away but mostly, it is the bad ones.
18. To end the misery that has afflicted the human condition for thousands of years, you have to start with yourself and take responsibility for your inner state at any given moment. That means now.
A pretty deep explanation of ‘charity begins at home’. If you cannot give to the people related to you who are in need, you cannot give to anyone else. Every revolution starts with someone, maybe this one starts from you.
19. If there were nothing but thought in you, you wouldn’t even know you are thinking. You would be like a dreamer who doesn’t know he is dreaming. When you know you are dreaming, you are awake within the dream.
This quote makes you realise the importance of every single thought of yours. If you have good thoughts, you will do good. If you have bad thoughts, you will do bad.
20. The ultimate truth of who you are is not I am this or I am that, but I Am.
This Eckhart Tolle quote is based on avoiding comparison. He believes that we are who we are and not something or someone we think we are.
21. To know another human being in their essence, you don’t really need to know anything about them — their past, their history, their story.
The character of a person is not determined by their past or their future but instead by who they are in the current moment and if they decide to keep it the same way.
22. How do you let go of attachment to things? Don’t even try. It’s impossible. Attachment to things drops away by itself when you no longer seek to find yourself in them.
We seek things because sometimes we see or imagine a part of us in them and once we stop seeing ourselves in them we stop seeking them as well.
23. In surrender, you no longer need ego defences and false masks. You become very simple, very real.
If in any situation or under any circumstances you give up, it might allow you to see or meet the real you.
24. The ego says, ‘I shouldn’t have to suffer,’ and that thought makes you suffer so much more. It is a distortion of the truth, which is always paradoxical. The truth is that you need to say yes to suffering before you can transcend it.
This quote means that our suffering is a part of us and we can not avoid it and if we try to we suffer even more because we can not cut out a part of ourselves that easily.
25. There is nothing that strengthens the ego more than being right. Being right is identification with a mental position – a perspective, an opinion, a judgment, a story. For you to be right, of course, you need someone else to be wrong, as so the ego loves to make wrong in order to be right.
Your Ego never lets you be just wrong even when it is for no reason. It will always look for reasons, stories and/or literally anything to prove you right in order to satisfy itself.
26. It is not uncommon for people to spend their whole life waiting to start living.
We all might relate this one to an iconic movie dialogue ‘chaalis ke baad’. This is exactly what we have to avoid.
27. Accept - then act. Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it. Always work with it, not against it.
According to this Eckhart Tolle quote, cribbing in the current situation might be an option but escaping it is definitely not.
28. If you get the inside right, the outside will fall into place. Primary reality is within; secondary reality without.
The reality inside you is what it actually is and should be of primary concern or should be taken into consideration before anything else.
29. Faith is the substance of whatever it is that we hope for. The important thing is that we teach that faith is connected to goof works and responsibility.
Before reading this quote, I don’t think most of us would have related faith and hope.
30. Be true to life by being true to your inner purpose.
Our inner purpose is what we are in search of for most of the time in our life. Once we get to know what it is we must fulfil it.
These Eckhart Tolle quotes if read and understood carefully can change the perspective of anyone. These are pretty deep (to be honest).
As I mentioned before Eckhart Tolle is a spiritual guide and his quotes might be able to help you out in a few situations. I hope you liked this article and it helped you in one way or another.
- 35 Ernest Hemingway Quotes on Love, War, and Life That Offer Solace
- 30 RM Drake Quotes about Love, Life and Happiness To Solve The Chaos
- 50 Best Quotes of William Shakespeare from His Plays And Poetries
- 30 HP Lovecraft Quotes That Are Astonishing Enough To Drive You Mad
- 30 Beautiful EE Cummings Quotes About Love and Life To Adore
Explore: Feeding Trends | Events