Cricket is a gentleman’s game and it has revolutionized many gentlemen.
Thousands of youngsters and players are sweating it out in the field, but only a few of them are recognized as legends.
But what separates legends from the rest of the players is their attitude towards the game and they inspire people.
Here’s a list of the Cricket quotes from the legends of the game which shows the attitude and passion they had for the game which made them legends!
1. “My first bat was shaped out of a coconut branch and from that day, all I wanted to do was to be a cricketer.” – Brian Lara
Lara has definitely come a long way from holding a bat in the shape of a coconut branch to holding the record of scoring the highest runs in a test inning of 400 not out against England in 2004.
2. “Every batsman surveys the field before taking strike and usually the fielders get imprinted on his mind. They can almost see every fielder in their mind’s eye. But in my head, I don’t see the fielders. I only see the gaps!” – Ricky Ponting
We all have a feeling that cricket is an easy game to play. But it’s not. Cricket is a mind-game. And if placing the shot in the gap between the fielders was an art, then Ricky is the master of it!
3. “People throw stones at you and you convert them into milestones.” – Sachin Tendulkar
Don’t let failures and criticism control and direct your future. Hear it from the man himself who faced a lot of criticism in his cricketing career and 21 years later, he was known as the ‘God of Cricket’!
4. “You don’t win or lose the games because of the 11 you select. You win or lose with what those 11 do on the field.” – Rahul Dravid
Just Rahul Dravid things! Best among the cricket quotes!
5. “You don’t play for the crowd, you play for the country.” – Mahendra Singh Dhoni
Having a jam-pact stadium always makes the match a little more interesting, but that also increases the pressure to perform well. But when you’re on the ground, wearing your country’s jersey, then I don’t think anything else should matter to you!
6. “Every person gets negative things, they learn from those negative things, and you become a positive person.” - Kapil Dev
Every negative thing happening in your life will shape you into a better person. Be thankful for those hard times because they’ll only make you stronger!
7. “Enjoy the game & chase your dreams. Dreams do come true.” – Sachin Tendulkar
Set your goals and chase your dreams. One day you’ll catch them!
8. “Compromise for your dream but never compromise on your dream.” – Imran Khan
Hear it from Pakistan’s World Cup-winning captain. Follow your dreams and convert them into reality. In that journey, never make compromises on it.
9. “First of all, convince yourself that you are the best because the rest of your life is going to go proving this to others.”- Wasim Akram
You don’t need that validation from anyone to know that you’re the best. You don’t need to prove anything to anyone. Do it for yourself!
10. “A wise man learns by the mistakes of others, A fool by own.” – Adam Gilchrist
Remember this; we learn the greatest lessons of our lives during the worst times and from doing the worst mistakes. This is an amazing quote by Adam Gilchrist, one of the best wicket-keeping batsmen and a legend of the game!
11. “Never give up; just absolutely never give up.” – Shane Warne
Never give up; Because great things take time.
12. “No Dream is Ever Chased Alone!”- Rahul Dravid
Another cricket quote from the legend of the game. In the journey of chasing your goals, you are backed by people. If not people, you’re family and friends are always there for you no matter what.
13. “Every morning I woke up, I believed that I could score runs for India.” – Sourav Ganguly
Every morning when you wake up, you have two choices; either continue to sleep with your dreams or wake up and begin the hustle to chase them. I guess Ganguly believed in himself and chased his goals, making him one of the best captains of the Indian Cricket Team and also a legend of the game.
14. “The joy of doing well as a batsman for your country is much more than that little joy of going to a party and enjoying music. It is a completely different high, and I get high by performances. That’s what I enjoy now.” – Virat Kohli
Let’s hear it from one of the best batsmen in the world!
15. “It’s very challenging. The most important thing you need as a sportsman is to be clear on what you’re actually doing”.- Brett Lee
Before getting what you want from life, you need to know what you want in life. Isn’t that simple? Being a bowler, it’s very important to have an idea or have clarity of how you want to bowl the next ball or next over.
16. “Some folks will say ‘Oh, winning ain’t all!” But I know it is all. At the end of the day, no one looks at the loser. So that is why we play to win.” – Vivian Richards
Whenever you go to the field to play, always go out there with a winning mentality. True competitors are the ones who always play to win.
17. “Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday!” – Kumara Sangakkara
An amazing cricket quote by the legend Kumar Sangakkara. It’s very important to learn to survive a defeat because that’s when you learn from your mistakes and develop a character. One defeat is not the end of the road!
18. “If you want to do something, achieve something, you can’t be thinking all the time of what you don’t have.” – Kapil Dev
Whatever you do in life, just don’t sit still or think about something that you don’t have. Opportunities don’t happen or come running to you. You create them and that’s how you constantly grow!
19. “From my past performances, past success, I know all days cannot be rosy and what keeps me going is the support from my team”- Sourav Ganguly
Surround yourself with people who want to see you grow and want the best from you. Especially in a team sport, players need to be supportive of each other. That brings out the best of you and also improves that team environment. Who else agrees that India had one of the best Cricket teams when Sourav Ganguly was the captain?
20. “I was always fiercely determined and driven to succeed.” - Ricky Ponting
Well, this quote by Ricky needs no explanation. If you have a dream or a goal and if you want to reach it, you need to be fiercely determined.
21. “There is nothing more exciting in sports when the top two countries in the world are battling for the Ashes.”- Ian Botham
The Ashes is one of the longest-running rivalries in sports. Who else agrees with this quote by Ian Botham?
22. “I don’t want to extend my career for individual records. This is the time to go.” - Kumar Sangakkara
Kumar Sangakkara said this before he bid adieu to Test Cricket.
23. “Nothing is easy in cricket. Maybe when you watch it on TV, it looks easy. But it is not. You have to use your brain and time the ball” - Rohit Sharma
People think that cricket is an easy sport to play. But it’s not. Choosing the right shot for the ball, and placing it between the right fielders, takes a lot of practice. And if there’s a player who could place it between or over the top of the fielders in style, it’s Rohit Sharma!
24. “If you are good at studies, and you want to play cricket, you may work harder than any other person, but you may not achieve it. So it's something you have to balance in life and be practical where you are good and then channelize your efforts in the right direction to be successful in life.” - Mahendra Singh Dhoni
You can’t have everything or do everything you want, but you can do things that matter to you if you prioritize them accordingly. Balancing your life in that way is the key to everything!
25. “Respect is having respect for the people you play with and against, and respect for the shirt. Unity is about sticking together but also uniting the country. That was always the bigger cause for us, not just the cricket.” - Moeen Ali
When you represent your country on the biggest stage, you also represent the country’s total population. Cricket is all about love, friendship, and respect. This is why cricket is a beautiful sport.
26. “Cricket is my passion; it is my first love. So I will not act in my movies, as they will just be a side business for me.” - Harbhajan Singh
This cricket quote shows how much the sport meant to Harbhajan Singh. Know your passion. Follow it and live it.
27. “My priority is cricket. Everything that I get apart from it is a result of the effort on the field. Everything else follows. I am pretty aware of my priorities, and I don't really focus on things that are not as important to me as cricket.” - Virat Kohli
This is one of the best cricket quotes so far. With his cricketing career so far, Virat has taught us that as long as we've got the passion and willingness to work hard, we can do anything we want in this life!
28. “The beauty of cricket is that there are so many different opinions as to the best way to do something and at times it is easier to see something when you're not emotionally involved in the game and not responsible for the decision. You can go and have a cup of tea and look at it from a different point of view.” - Alastair Cook
More than just a game!
29. “My job is to perform, enjoy cricket, and thank God for whatever he has given me.”- Suresh Raina
Enjoy what you love doing and count your blessings. And don’t forget to thank god for everything you have.
30. “Before you lay a foundation on the cricket field, there should be a solid foundation in your heart and you start building on that. After that, as you start playing more and more matches, you learn how to score runs and how to take wickets.” - Sachin Tendulkar
Sachin’s cricket career is the biggest example that proves the difference between ordinary and extraordinary, is practice. Just enjoy the process!
31. “In the game of cricket, a hero is a person who respects the game and does not corrupt the game. The one who doesn't or corrupts the game, they are the villain. They should be punished, and they have been punished in the past.” - Virat Kohli
If you’re a sportsman, respect the sport; worship it. Remember that it gives you an identity. If you want to be recognized to do something or accomplish something great, give it everything you have. If you corrupt the game or do anything cowardly, you won’t be able to live in peace with yourself.
32. “When I am off the field, I am the calm, very quiet kind of easy-sailing ocean, and then when I am on a hot streak with a cricket ball, I can be the most disastrous waters you have ever been in.” - Dale Steyn
Nobody would want to face Steyn when he’s on a hot streak with the cricket ball. Would you?
33. “I don't study cricket too much. Whatever I have learned or experienced is through cricket I've played on the field, and whatever little I have watched.”- Mahendra Singh Dhoni
How did he learn to be this cool though? Curious right?
34. “I want to develop an atmosphere where the selectors, captain, and coach are on the same page because, unless this happens, there will be no turnaround in our cricket.” - Inzamam-ul-Haq
When it comes to team sports, every single member is the strength of the team. As a player of the team, you need to have the will to compromise when it is the best for the team.
35. “Men's cricket sets the bar. We are always trying to reach where they set the standard.” - Mithali Raj
Women’s cricket has come a long way from empty stadiums to bringing the whole nation glued to each other. Who else agrees that women’s cricket has reached the standards set by men’s cricket?
36. “Racism is not only in football, it's in cricket too. Even within teams as a black man, I get the end of the stick. Black and powerful. Black and proud.” - Chris Gayle
It’s a shame that we drag racism into sports. Everybody deserves equal treatment. Deal with it like how Chris Gayle treats every bowler when he gets going; Hit all the negative comments or criticisms out of the park!
37. “The more cricket you play in your head, the less you perform on the field. So let cricket, the sport, be on the field.” - KL Rahul
The more you think, the less you perform. So stop thinking too much and be in the moment.
38. “Cricket is not rocket science. Bowlers often get wickets through perseverance, accuracy and being patient rather than trying to blast opposition teams out.” - Andrew Strauss
Success is the sum of all your efforts. Especially when you’re a bowler, you need to have a lot of patience. Somedays you bowl well and someday you get hit. But what’s important is to be consistent, accurate, and trust in yourself.
39. “I believe cricket is a big part of this country's culture like all sports but cricket is the most dominant in our country. It is in our blood and even if you don't sit and watch it, the sound of cricket represents summer.” - Michael Clarke
This cricket quote by this legend is another example that proves that cricket is more than a game. It’s a part of their culture in many countries!
40. “It's important to make sure your players have the mindset that playing international cricket is still the ultimate form of cricket.” - AB de Villiers
Here it is from Mr.360 himself! Whenever you go out on the field, especially in limited-overs cricket, you need to be at your best. This cricket quote tells us why he is one of the best cricketers the world has ever seen!
41. “From a spectator point of view, Test cricket is not important; people hardly watch Test cricket. But as a player, Tests are the real thing. You have to concentrate for five days. It's a lot of time, and not easy to do it day in and day out. If people have played 70-100 Tests, it's a lot of cricket, a lot of concentration and dedication.” - Yuvraj Singh
Test Cricket is a format of the game that requires a lot of patience and hard work. It’s just like life. If you fail in one session, you don’t have to panic because in the next session you can turn around things.
42. “My main focus is always to do well on the field for the Indian cricket team. When people say good things about me off the field, I am more than happy to accept them.” - Virat Kohli
When you’re a celebrity or replacing your country at the highest levels, there are going to be a lot of criticisms. Never take it personally and don’t let it consume you. All that matters is that you stay in the moment and excel in whatever you are doing.
43. “That's one of the nice things about being a sportsman is that once you cross that white line, it is a freedom, you are away from everything in life really. You are playing cricket and that's an escape from everything. That's as clear as you get really.” - Stuart Broad
Another great cricket quote by Stuart Broad who himself came back stronger, every time he didn’t do well in his career.
44. “It's about being true to who you are as a person. For example, I'm not going to shy away from an opinion because I have played cricket, whereas other women who haven't played cricket might be more journalistic about their approach.” - Isa Guha
Isa Guha being proud of and not shying away from the fact that she’s played cricket for her country! The best cricket quote a lady cricketer could give!
45. “Cricket is a team game. If you want fame for yourself, go play an individual game.” - Gautam Gambhir
Another cricket quote that proves that cricket is a team sport!
A sportsman knows how much hard work they had to put on the field for their respective sides to come out as a winner. These quotes by such winners will inspire you to the core.
It shows the passion these legends have for the game. Keeping records and stats aside, It’s the thoughts and attitudes that make them different from others.
If you’re in search of motivation or if you’re a big fan of the sport, here’s a list of 45 Cricket quotes from the legends of the game. Let us know which one of these is your favorite.
Also if you found these cricket quotes interesting, make sure you like and share them with your friends and family.