Bengali people all over the country are the ones who can’t ever be a subject to ignorance. Bengal has produced many renowned thinkers. Looking from the literature point of view, from Rabindranath Tagore’s poetry collections to the gyaans of Ramkrishna Paramhans, the Bangaali is always up to something attention-seeking, be it their sayings or their works.
So, we have decided to compile a list of Bengali proverbs that are renowned to readers of all times - hoping that Bengalis and the other readers will enjoy them and take the lessons from them to shape their real-life understanding. So, here are some of the must-read Bengali proverbs:
1. Bengali Proverb: যতক্ষন শ্বাস, ততক্ষণ আঁশ।
English Translation: While there is breath, there is hope.
Bengali Proverbs give us a lot of optimism. While there is breath, there is a life and when there is life, there is hope. As long as you are alive, you should not lose hope.
2. Bengali Proverb: উলুবনে মুক্তা ছড়ানো।
Translation: Scattering Pearls in the forest of the reeds.
Bengali proverbs advise us not to give something valuable to those who will not appreciate or understand it.
3. Bengali Proverb: কানা গরুর ভিন্ন পথ।
Translation: One-eyed cow has a different path.
Bengali Proverbs like this are an eye-opener for all of us. Someone without a vision is bound to get lost.
4. Bengali Proverb: যেমন কর্ম, তেমন ফল।
Translation: As the act, so is the result.
Bengali Proverbs like this reflect the ages-old saying that you sow as you reap.
5. Bengali Proverb :আয়ের অধিক ব্যয় করো না
Translation: Do not live above your means.
Bengali Proverbs tells us to Limit our expenses to what we can afford.
6. Bengali Proverb : সব ভাল তার শেষ ভাল যার
Translation: All’s well that ends well
Bengali Proverbs prove to be a guiding light sometimes. If the outcome of the situation is happy, this compensates for any previous difficulty or unpleasantness.
7. Bengali Proverb: অতি চালাকের গলায় দড়ি
Translation: Too much cunning overreaches itself.
Never let your cunningness pave a path for your elimination.
8. Bengali Proverb: অতি লোভে তাতি নষ্ট
Translation: Grasp all, lose all.
One who wants everything may lose it all.
9. Bengali Proverb: ভাবিয়া করিও কাজ
Translation: Look before you leap.
You should not act without first considering all the possible consequences.
10. Bengali Proverb: .অধিক সন্ন্যাসীতে গাজন নষ্ট
Translation: Too many cooks spoil the broth.
If too many people are involved in some activity, it will not be done well.
11. Bengali Proverb: অতি ভক্তি চোরের লক্ষণ
Translation: Too much courtesy, too much craft.
To be polite enough to do something.
12. Bengali Proverb: অভাবে স্বভাব নষ্ট
Translation: Necessity knows no law
This Bengali proverb asks us to be cautious. Being desperate and having no means can lead you to do illegal things.
13. Bengali Proverb: গেঁয়ো যোগী ভিখ পায় না
Translation: A prophet is not honoured in his own country.
Anyone whose talents and accomplishments are highly regarded by everyone except those at homes.
14. Bengali Proverb: অধীনতা অপেক্ষা মৃত্যু শ্রেয়
Translation: Even death is preferable to bondage.
Freedom is more dear than life.
15. Bengali Proverb: সে হাড়ে হাড়ে দুষ্ট
Translation: He is wicked to the backbone.
One who is wicked at its core.
16. Bengali Proverb: অসারের তর্জন গর্জনই সার
Translation: Empty vessels sound much.
Bengali proverbs like this prove out to be a support if someone is losing confidence. Those with the least knowledge and least talent often speak the loudest and the most.
17. Bengali Proverb: ঘুঘু দেখেছ, ফাঁদ দেখ নি
Translation: You must not see things with half an eye.
To be able to see or understand something as being plainly obvious or true.
18. Bengali Proverb: চেনা বামুনের পৈতার দরকার হয় না
Translation: Good wine needs no bush.
Some Bengali Proverbs lay emphasis on qualitative development. Good quality needs no advertisement, people will always discover its merits.
19. Bengali Proverb: কর্জ নাই, কষ্ট নাই
Translation: Out of debt, out of danger.
Bengali proverbs like this is a real saviour in this materialistic world. It is dangerous to owe anyone.
20. Bengali Proverb: এক মাঘে শীত যায় না
Translation: One swallow does not make a summer.
This one among the many Bengali Proverbs, advises us to look at all the possible consequences. Although something good has happened, the situation may not continue to be good, and you cannot rely on it.
21. Bengali Proverb: গাইতে গাইতে গায়েন = Practice makes a man perfect
Translation: Practice makes a man perfect.
This one in this list of Bengali Proverbs, assures us that any skill can be developed by practising enough.
22. Bengali Proverb: মানুষ মাত্রই ভুল করে
Translation: To err is human.
It is normal for people to make mistakes.
23. Bengali Proverb: সময়ের এক ফোঁড় অসময়ের দশ ফোঁড়
Translation: A stitch in time saves nine.
It’s better to deal with problems immediately rather than wait by when they worsen and become much bigger.
24. Bengali Proverb: নাচতে না জানলে উঠান বাঁকা
Translation: A bad workman quarrels with his tools.
There are tools to blame when one performs a task poorly.
25. Bengali Proverb: ভিক্ষার চাল কাঁড়া আকাঁড়া
Translation: Beggars must not be choosers.
One who depends on others’ generosity can’t pick and choose, they’ve to accept what is given to them.
26. Bengali Proverb: দশের লার্ঠি একের বোঝা
Translation: Many a little makes a mickle.
Bengali Proverbs lay emphasis on the importance of savings. One can accumulate a great deal of many small savings.
27. Bengali Proverb: বিপদ কখনো একা আসে না
Translation: Misfortune never comes alone.
If something bad has happened, it’s usual for the other things to happen as well.
28. Bengali Proverb: নাই মামার চেয়ে কানা মামা ভাল
Translation: Something is better than nothing.
If it is not what is required, but it is better to have that thing than to have nothing at all.
31. Bengali Proverb: ঘরে পোড়া গরু সিঁদুরে মেঘ দেখলে ডরায়
Translation: A burnt child dreads the fire.
Anyone with an Experience of some negative situation will try to avoid experiencing the same situation again.
32. Bengali Proverb: একটা সুন্দর শুরু কোন কাজের অর্ধেক সাফল্য এনে দেয়, যুদ্ধ ের শুরু ভালো মানে অর্ধেক বিজয়।
Translation: A good beginning is half the battle.
Any good start of a war is followed by a clear sign of victory.
33. Bengali Proverb : বোকার কাছে টাকা থাকে না।
Translation: A fool and his money are soon parted.
Foolish people do not know how to hold on to their money.
34. Bengali Proverb: সোজা আঙ্গুলে ঘি ওঠে না।
Translation: A cat in gloves catches no mice.
You cannot get everything by being nice.
35. Bengali Proverb: ভাত ছড়ালে কাকের অভাব হয় না।
Translation: A full purse never lacks friends.
Money is always an attraction to people.
To all the readers out there, if you belong to Bengal, cheers to you! It is said by a very famous social reformer named Gopal Krishna Gokhale that 'WHAT BENGAL THINKS TODAY, INDIA THINKS TOMORROW'. This quote not only emphasized the intellect of Bengalis but also tell us the fact that Bengali Proverbs not only guide us but also enlighten us to our true self.
These few of the many Bengali Proverbs are indeed a mirror to ancient culture. Bengali Proverbs are like a sea of wisdom into which anyone can dip into. It is said that a brilliant mind takes lessons from others' mistakes, so let these Bengali Proverbs find a place in your learnings so that you and your complications would be solved faster!
- 30 Japanese Proverbs That Are Golden Words Of Wisdom For Us
- 40 Tibetan Proverbs To Quench Your Thirst For Knowledge And Wisdom
- 40 English Proverbs That Would Make You Understand Life Better
- 20 Italian Proverbs That Contain Essence and Will Give You Goals For Life
- 51 Rumi Quotes About Love, Life and Wisdom That Serve As A Guiding Light
Explore: Feeding Trends | Events