Atal Bihari Vajpayee (25 December 1924-16 August 2018) was born in Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh. He was an Indian statesman who became India's first BJP (Bharatiya Janata Party) full-time Prime Minister in three terms, first for 13 days in 1966, 13 months 1998-1999, then full-time Prime Minister 1999-2004, 11th Prime Minister of India.
He was a member of Indian Parliament for over decades, having been elected for 10 times to the Lok Sabha. During Atal Bihari Vajpayee's tenure, India developed a lot, in all spheres. India saw development economically, socially, and physically. When he was Prime Minister, India carried out Pokhran II nuclear tests in 1998. He also improved diplomatic relationships with Pakistan.
It was under his leadership that India defeated Pakistan in the Kargil War of 1999. He was honoured with the ‘Bharat Ratna Award’, the highest civilian honour of India. His birthday is celebrated as the ‘Good Governance Day.'
Before Indian Cricket Team's famous tour to Pakistan in 2004, Vajpayee met the team and presented the team captain, Saurav Ganguly, with a bat. Written on the bat were his famous words -- 'Khel hi nahi, dil bhi jeeto'.
Vajpayee passed away on 16 August 2018 at 5 pm in AIIMS due to kidney tract infection and chest congestion. He was 93 years old. His death was confirmed by the All India Institute of Medical Sciences.
Apart from all this, this multi-talented man was a poet and writer also. In this article, we will be discussing some of his written work. Late Atal Bihari Vajpayee, indeed had a poetic heart. Here some of the best Atal Bihari Vajpayee quotes and poetic sayings:
1. We are unnecessarily wasting our precious resources in wars... if we must wage war, we have to do it on unemployment, disease, poverty, and backwardness.
One of the most important Atal Bihari Vajpayee quotes to start this listicle with is here. At the time when he was in power, running the Government of world's largest democracy, there are more severe issues to be fought within the nation than on the borders. He rightly conveyed this message to the people then.
2. Truth cannot be hidden for fear that somebody would exploit it
3. No one can be considered untouchable on political grounds.
4. We want peace to be permanent.
5. No guns but only brotherhood can resolve the problems.
6. While accepting donations, no one looks at the colour of money.
7. I prefer to die rather than eat beef.
8. For development, peace is essential.
9. Victory and defeat are a part of life, which are to be viewed with equanimity.
10. It’s dark in the middle of the day. The sun is defeated by its shadow. Squeeze the oil from your soul, and light a wick. Come let's light a lamp again.
11. Never let me climb so high, that I am unable to embrace another stranger, deliver me ever from such arrogance!
12. The cycle of being and not being will continue till eternity, So will our illusion, that we are, we will be.
13. Everything is at stake, there’s no option to stop now. We can break at this point, but we cannot bend now!
14. Free and fair elections have again demonstrated that Jammu and Kashmir is part of India, and the people want to remain with it.
15. What is the age of death? Not even a couple of moments. Life is a progression, it’s not a matter of a day or two!
16. I am able to see myself from the eyes of others, I am neither silent nor am I singing!
17. It is easy to win elections by raising slogan of “garibi hatao” but slogans do not remove poverty.
18. If India is not a secular nation, then India is not India at all.
19. Khel hi nahi dil bhi jeetiye.
20. Quiet diplomacy is far more effective than public posturing.
21. You can change friends but not neighbours.
22. No guns but only brotherhood can solve the problems.
23. Truth can't be hidden for fear that somebody would exploit you.
24. India is not a piece of land but a living entity.
25. Victory and defeat are part of life which are to be viewed with equanimity.
26. I would like that no citizen of the state feels alone and helpless. The entire nation is with them.
27. Hard work never brings tiredness, it brings satisfaction.
28. Our aim may be as high as the endless sky, but we should have a resolve in our minds to walk ahead, hand-in-hand, for victory will be ours.
If we look at these Atal Bihari Vajpayee quotes in the right light each of his words had deep and intense meaning. Someone said it so right, words never die, poets live forever.
29. This power of democracy is a matter of pride for our country, something which we must always cherish, preserve and further strengthen.
30. For me, Power was never an attraction.
True leaders are never greedy for fame and power. They are more focussed on being able to convince people, more than influencing people. Atal Bihari Vajpayee quotes are very important for any aspiring leader.
31. I believe that democracy is the best guarantor for peace and cooperation among nations.
32. I try to indulge my muse whenever I am able to get away from it all.
33. My message to the people and rulers of Pakistan is, 'As neighbours, we want peace and friendship and cooperation with you so that together we can change the face of South Asia.'
34. During the 1942 Quit India Movement, I was a student at Gwalior High School. I was arrested by the British for participating in the movement. My parents then sent me off to my village where, again, I jumped into the movement.
35. My poet's heart gives me strength to face political problems, particularly those which have a bearing on my conscience.
36. India has a legitimate right to becoming a permanent member of the U.N. Security Council.
37. The prime minister's office is not something that one enjoys.
38. India has never played politics with national security.
39. The BJP is not a party dependent on a single individual, nor is it tied to the apron strings of a family.
40. If Pakistan had not accepted the demand to stop cross-border infiltration and the United States had not conveyed to us Pakistan's guarantee to do so, then nothing could have stopped.
Atal Bihari Vajpayee quotes talk about world peace and harmony in general. Coming on agreeable terms with Pakistan was always a wishful thought for India. Hadn't the US intervened, the rage between Indian and Pakistan, which was a result of the partition, would have never stopped.
41. Let me make one thing clear. I have never considered mere survival in power as any achievement, just as I have never seen coming to power as an achievement in itself.
42. We have given up office, but not our responsibility to serve the nation. We have lost an election, but not our determination.
43. Whatever understanding is reached with Pakistan has to be followed honestly, and everybody will have to rise above party politics and be actively committed to make India prosperous.
44. If the elections are a mere fraud, why are terrorists being trained and infiltrated into India at the command of the Inter-Services Intelligence Agency of Pakistan to kill election candidates and to intimidate voters?
45. I am often accused of colluding with the British during the freedom struggle. I want to ask, how?
46. India helped Bangladesh to achieve independence. The Bangladeshis should remain happy inside the territory of their own country.
47. For the Bharatiya Janata Party, Gandhian socialism is what we want to achieve and make society free of exploitation and full of opportunities.
48. The regional parties have emerged as a strong force, and they, too, deserve a place in national politics.
Atal Bihari Vajpayee quotes speak a lot about the state of Indian politics. He emphasises that regional parties have a stronger influence on people than national parties and so their role shouldn't be ignored.
49. We used to fight with Pakistan with bombs. Now we are fighting with them on the playing ground.
Not only a great political leader, Atal Bihari Vajpayee was also king of thoughts. The way he has placed his thoughts in words in all the above Atal Bihari Vajpayee quotes, throws light upon his ability to lead progressively, maintain harmony and bring growth.
These are some of his most iconic Atal Bihari Vajpayee quotes, poems, political sayings. Hope it was worth reading.
- 10 Narendra Modi Quotes Which Are As Inspirational As The Prime Minister Himself
- 36 B.R Ambedkar Quotes Which Tell About His Powerful Personality
- 20 Pranab Mukherjee's Quotes on Nationalism, Patriotism and Humanity
- 25 Mahatma Gandhi Quotes For The World To Lead A Great Life
- 15 Atal Bihari Vajpayee Poems And Kavita To Read Today
Explore: Feeding Trends | Explore