Do you know who Angela Davis is? What are the contributions she made to provide a better life to the people?
Angela Davis is a famous American activist, who works to shape the lives of common people in a better way. Her aim is clearly to provide equal opportunities to women as men generally have. Also, she wants to remove the walls of caste, race, and various other parameters.
Angela Yvonne Davis was born on 26th January 1944 in an African-American family. Her birthplace was Birmingham, Alabama. She is a well-educated and literate activist, having a clarity between right and wrong path.
Angela pursued her degree in French from Brandeis University. Further, from the University of Frankfurt in West Germany, she pursued her graduation in Philosophy. Also, along with an Activist, she is a professor at the University of California, Santa Cruz.
This article lists some of the famous and the best Angela Davis Quotes which will surely motivate you to think about some of the serious issues in a better way. These Angela Davis Quotes are mostly about Celebrity, Feminism, and Life, or simply, about the Rights and Political issues.
So, let’s enjoy some of the best Angela Davis Quotes which will make you feel better and will also motivate you.
1) I’m no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I’m changing the things I cannot accept.
The first one from Angela Davis Quotes, speaks about changing the things which aren’t acceptable in society. Angela doesn't accept the things she can’t change, instead, she’s trying to change the things she can’t accept.
2) If we don’t know how to meaningfully talk about racism, our actions will move in misleading directions.
Talking about racism isn’t any awful thing, which can make you feel guilty. Our actions come from our thinking, so if we don’t openly talk about racism, then our actions will surely mislead directions.
3) The work of the political activist inevitably involves a certain tension between the requirement that position be taken on current issues as they arise and the desire that one’s contributions will somehow survive the ravages of time.
Here in this one from Angela Davis Quotes, she’s talking about the mental strain a Political Activist has to bear in their head, regarding the current issues going on.
4) I don’t think it’s necessary to feel guilty. Because I know that I’m still doing the work that is going to help more sisters and brothers to challenge the whole criminal justice system, and I’m trying to use whatever knowledge I was able to acquire to continue to do the work in our communities that will move us forward.
Angela Davis, in this one of the Angela Davis Quotes, clearly mentions that she isn’t guilty about what she’s doing right now. Being an Activist, she’s making the citizens aware of the truth, such that they can stand against the Criminal Justice System, whenever there’ll be a need.
5) Well of course there’s been a great deal of progress over the last 40 years. We don’t have laws that segregate black people within society any longer.
In the past 40 years, Americans have gone through a lot of progress when it comes to equal rights. Now, the discrimination against black people almost vanishes. Now, there is not a single law that differentiates between blacks and whites, when it comes to rights.
6) We know the road to freedom has always been stalked by death.
The road to freedom is like fighting any war. Anyone who stands for freedom has to risk their lives to achieve it.
7) I think in black communities today, we need to encourage a lot more cross-racial organizing.
This one from Angela Davis Quotes is to encourage the black communities. The only way to get rid of racism is to remove the racial communities, which make the differences on the basis of color and physical appearances of people.
8) I try never to take myself for granted as somebody who should be out there speaking. Rather, I’m doing it only because I feel there’s something important that needs to be conveyed.
Angela never thinks of just speaking as she’s granted. She only raises her voice in front of people because she feels there’s something in society that needs to be changed.
9) It is in collectives that we find reservoirs of hope and optimism.
Angela Davis Quotes here are addressing us about the communities having reservoirs of hope and optimism, but lack in implementation, when it comes to taking an action.
10) It is essential to resist the depiction of history as the work of heroic individuals in order for people today to recognize their potential agency as a part of an ever-expanding community of struggle.
This one from Angela Davis Quotes is the reality nowadays. We people just depict history as the achievements of an individual but forgets the efforts made by a team to make that achievement achievable.
11) I think the importance of doing activist work is precisely because it allows you to give back and to consider yourself not as a single individual who may have achieved whatever but to be a part of an ongoing historical movement.
The major role of an activist is not to consider themselves as an individual, having a bunch of achievements. An activist is who builds a team of enthusiastic individuals, having the potential to bring the historic revolution.
12) You’ve to act as if it were possible to radically transform the world. And you’ve to do it all the time.
This one from Angela Davis Quotes tells about how the world can transform just by thinking optimistically. To transform the world in a positive manner, the first thing you should do is to change your mindset and start working in an optimistic way.
13) As a black woman, my politics and political affiliation are bound up with and flow from participation in my people’s struggle for liberation, and with the fight of oppressed people all over the world against American imperialism.
The reason behind the participation of Angela in the revolutionary movement is to stand for those devastated individuals against American imperialism. She mentions that the motive of her joining the movement is to give justice to the oppressed ones.
14) To understand how any society functions, you must understand the relationship between men and women.
One of the best from Angela Davis Quotes, which is the exact reality to understand any society. The relationship between men and women is a glimpse of what the actual society is.
15) Revolution is a serious thing, the most serious thing about a revolutionary is life. When one commits oneself to the struggle, it must be for a lifetime.
Bringing revolution isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, it requires a lot of commitments and its implementations as well. Once you commit yourself to anything, then you have to be ready for every odds that’ll come to your path for a lifetime.
16) Sometimes we have to do the work even though we don’t yet see a glimmer on the horizon that it’s actually going to be possible.
During a time of struggle, you don’t get the desired results you would have expected. But that’s not the end, you need to push yourself to work better than yesterday, and eventually, you’ll surely gonna get the results.
17) You can never stop and as older people, we have to learn how to take leadership from the youth and I guess I would say that this is what I’m attempting to do right now.
Older people are better at making wise decisions, while the youth are adept at leadership and for any movement. This one of Angela Davis Quotes is about how we can create a better society by having both critical thinking and leadership.
18) Progressive art can assist people to learn what’s at work in the society in which they live.
The real definition of progressive art is when we can assist the work of the people of society. This will encourage them to open up and also they’ll contribute through their skills.
19) I think we have to really focus on the issues much more than we may have in the past. I think we have to seek to create coalitional strategies that go beyond racial lines. We need to bring black communities, Chicano communities, Puerto Rican communities, Asian American communities together.
This one from Angela Davis Quotes is all about teamwork, and how it can be an unbeatable weapon against Racism. Once, every community unites together, then it’s Game over for Racism.
20) We have to talk about liberating minds as well as liberating society.
Everyone has their personal views and opinions, but just having it inside doesn’t make any sense. To have liberating minds and liberating society as well, we should’ve to express our personal opinions to make a better society.
21) I think that has to do with my awareness that in a sense we all have a certain measure of responsibility to those who have made it possible for us to take advantage of the opportunities.
Here, she’s talking about the advantages of the opportunities she has got, with some certain responsibility, and how it can be made possible.
22) The process of empowerment can’t be simplistically defined in accordance with our own particular class interests. We must learn to lift as we climb.
Empowerment isn’t a magical thing, that’ll appear in a mysterious way. It is the end product of our mindset as per our class interests. That’s why we need to take the step forward.
23) We still have to struggle against the impact of racism, but it doesn’t happen in the same way. I think it is much more complicated today than it ever was.
This one from Angela Davis Quotes is the impact of racism going on in today’s time. Even today too, racism exists, as most of the time people just don’t show it by their words, but their actions are more than sufficient to identify it.
24) Invisible, repetitive, exhausting, unproductive, uncreative - these are the adjectives that most perfectly capture the nature of housework.
Household work seems more uncomplicated than any job, but in reality, it’s too stressful. Suppose doing the same work on a daily basis, which doesn’t add any value in your life, but you have to repeat the same for years. That’s what housework is.
25) Prisons don’t disappear problems, they disappear human beings.
Prisons are only made to cage the people. But caging the criminals doesn’t mean the crime will end too. To disappear the problem, we have to destroy its root.
26) But there’s a message for everyone and it is that people can unite, that democracy from below can challenge oligarchy, that fascism can be overcome, and that equality is emancipatory.
In this one of the Angela Davis Quotes, she is conveying the people to unite together and overcome fascism. That’s the path to attain freedom.
27) I never saw myself as an individual who had any particular leadership powers.
Angela never saw herself as an individual leader, she always gave credits to her supporters, who supported her to make every movement successful.
28) Jails and prisons are designed to break human beings, to convert the population into specimens in a zoo - obedient to our keepers, but dangerous to each other.
This one from the Angela Davis Quotes tells the reality of the Jails and prisons made. In prisons, they’re made to follow each of the rules, thus becoming obedient, but simultaneously, they’ll become more dangerous for the other individual being.
29) The struggle for an abolitionist democracy is aspiring to create the institutions that will truly allow for a democratic society.
Simply, to fulfill the dream of an abolitionist democracy, we’ve to set up the institutions that’ll give us the freedom to have a democratic society.
30) It is important not only to have the awareness and to feel impelled to become involved, but it’s also important that there be a forum out there to which one can relate, an organization- a movement.
Here, this one from Angela Davis Quotes is for those who believe having awareness is sufficient for any movement. But, implementing that awareness through a forum or movement would be revolutionary.
31) We have accumulated a wealth of historical experience which confirms our belief that scales of American justice are out of balance.
There is enough evidence of the past, which tells that the American Judiciary isn't considering everyone equally. There’s still injustice going on.
32) There is so much history of this racist violence that simply bringing one person to justice is not going to disturb the whole racist edifice.
Racism is spread in such a way that, even if an individual will get justice from racism, it won’t affect the rest of the racist society.
33) If we don’t know how to meaningfully talk about racism, our actions will move in misleading directions.
Talking openly about racism in society, in an appropriate manner is much needed. In this one from the Angela Davis Quotes, she’s predicting the misleading results, which can happen if we don’t talk about racism meaningfully.
34) Feminism insists on methods of thought and action that urge us to think about things together that appear to be separate and to disaggregate things that appear to naturally belong together.
This one from Angela Davis Quotes is all about Feminism, and how the actual mindset should be, being a feminist. Unity is the ultimate key to make the feminist movement successful.
35) I don’t think we have any alternative other than remaining optimistic. Optimism is an absolute necessity, even if it’s only optimism of the will, as Gramsci said, and pessimism of the intellect.
The last one from this Angela Davis Quotes, here Angela is highlighting us that, there’s no way of succeeding in anything without optimism. Optimism is the primary thing that every achiever has inside them.
This was the list of some of the best Angela Davis Quotes, which are too inspirational. Angela Davis Quotes are totally practical and address the harsh reality of the society where we live.
After reading these Angela Davis Quotes, you might have depicted her personality in your mind. Without any doubt, she’s a great personality and a humble human being as well. Being an activist, philosopher, professor, and author, she’s multi-tasking too, having expertise in various fields.
Also, she never credits herself for any of the achievements, some of the Angela Davis Quotes make you clear this too. Along with it, she’s a great author, who wrote over 10 books till now, the majority of which are based on class, feminism, race, and the US prison system.
As the conclusion of this article on Angela Davis Quotes, the main purpose of this article is to make you aware of the harsh face of society and the injustice going on throughout the world, and I’m sure that this article on Angela Davis Quotes adds some value in your way of thinking.
- 50 Biker Quotes To Flaunt Your Love For Riding A Powerful Machine
- 51 Rich Dad Poor Dad Quotes That Are Inspiring For Lifetime
- 81 Feminist Quotes By Famous Women That Inspire All Females
- 50 Joker Quotes Which Shows The Real Side Of This World
- 30 Into The Wild Quotes About Life, Adventure and Happiness
- 30 Dirty Talking To Your Boyfriend Quotes To Make Him Naughty